Paver Sand And Blue/Grey Colored Bricks - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2009, 09:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Paver Sand and Blue/Grey Colored Bricks

I'll need to lay bricks to form a border around my flower bed in my backyard. In order for the bricks to not move and sturdy, I'll need to put Saver Sand underneath.

Please forgive my ignorance - I don't know what Paver Sand is. I cannot even find a photo of Paver Sand on the internet! Could anyone kindly show me a picture about Paver Sand so that I'll know what to look for?

Could anyone kindly tell me where to get Paver Sand and stylish bricks? I went to Home Depot. But the bricks there didn't look good.

Advertisement

Last edited by Curious123; 08-12-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Curious123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Paver sand will not work to keep a row of bricks from not moving. If you want them to stay in place, you will need to dig a trench, fill it with concrete and install the bricks on that.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:11 PM   #3

Ron,

My landscaper suggests similar thing as you - Dig a trench, put in cement, and lay bricks on top of the cement.

However, I got a different point of view from someone else. Below is his description of how they did it:

-------------------------------------
my wife and I laid a circle flower bed in our backyard about 8 feet in diameter with 2 layers of brick. It took us all day the 2 of us to dig out the trench, place in paver sand, then lay all the bricks and make sure it stayed level. So far for 3 years its stayed put, no brick movement and still level. Im not sure that cement is needed in your case.
-------------------------------------

According to the description, paver sand should work in keeping the bricks from moving. Since I'm kinda ignorant in this, I welcome comments.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:12 PM   #4
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,072

Curious, A solution that worked for him may not work for you because of all the physical variables associated with soil and geography. For example a solution that works in Arizona may not work in New Jersey.

If you want to try "Paver Sand":
  • Do a search of your local Masonry Supply Yards (Not HD or LOWE'S). Find places that sell to contractors and ask their opinion. "Paver Sand" may be a term to describe one of the five most common types of SAND
  • If you do not get positive responses for using sand as a base, then sand is probaly not a good option in your area
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:22 PM   #5

I'll go to the quarries on Saturday where they sell bricks and sand, and ask them about sand. If I do not get a positive response about sand, or if they don't seem to know much about sand, I'll go with cement.

BTW, my location is Boston, MA.