Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Patio cover expert eyes

I am building a patio cover over a recently poured concrete slab, my main concern is the span between posts. I have included a diagram of my plan. I live in central Texas, not much rain and no snow to worry about. When I had the slab poured i was not planning on building a cover, since then I've decided to cover it to protect from rain and the sun. I do not believe the slab will support the structure and I don't want to attach to the house. Will I have any problems with the spans or do you see anything else that needs correcting before construction?
Attached Thumbnails
Patio cover expert eyes-patio-cover.jpg  

jdbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #2

Patio cover expert eyes

That roof really needed to run all the way up beond the old roof so you would have some slope to it and allow you to tie it in so it will not leak.
Those 6 X 6's also will need a footings.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #3

Patio cover expert eyes

Thanks, i was trying to avoid connecting to the roof, there is an existing gutter on the roof that I was hoping would catch runoff, I thought the gap might also act as a vent for the patio as it gets quite hot here in the summer, the patio will not be closed in on the sides. I was basically trying to construct a free standing structure that happens to be close to the house Yes I was sinking the posts down 24" in concrete. I'm going with a low pitch (3/12) with shingles or a asphalt rolled roofing. Is this just a problem waiting to happen or do you think it will work?
jdbishop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
patio cover, span table