Patching Very Large Access Cavity - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
ACY

Rewards Points: 10

Patching very large access cavity

Added plumbing to the closet next to our bathroom in the high-rise we live in but now I have to deal with making it all look pretty. This is interior wall that has to clean up nice so just slapping a piece of drywall over it wonít cut it. I donít think Iíll ever access the space again so semi permanent solution is fine. The current construction is old fire block wall and expanded metal lath. Iíve had some thought to just cover with more lath and plaster but thatís pretty complicated. So if you have ideas or suggestion it would be greatly appreciated. Iíve ready so much stuff online about different plasters, cements etc. My head is just spinning and I cant keep it all straight!

Advertisement

ACY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Square it off and either sheetrock or plaster it.
It's a wall, what else would you do with it?

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
ACY

Well I guess I'm a little puzzled bc the plaster over the lath and block is pretty thin, thinner then any piece of sheet rock. So if I do it this way the new sheet rock will sit past the old plaster
Old 10-21-2011, 10:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACY View Post
Well I guess I'm a little puzzled bc the plaster over the lath and block is pretty thin, thinner then any piece of sheet rock. So if I do it this way the new sheet rock will sit past the old plaster
You will need to prep the wall to recieve the sheetrock or plaster. That may include removing some of the wall to receive the sheetrock, adding blocking to screw the sheetrock into or adding protective metal covers so the pipes are protected.
You will need to do this whether you plaster it or sheetrock it.
The easy, no work option is a big vanity to cover the hole.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
ACY

Thank you guys, just wrapping up and all your suggestions came in handy. Thinking about it now it does seem like a pretty straightforward job but at the time with so many options available it was just a little too overwhelming.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #6

Considering the lack of studs, metal lath and plaster might be the easier route.
Why are there 2 drains coming out of the wall?
Old 10-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #7
ACY

The bottom one isn't a drain, it's piece of scrap to give the water supply line a little support.

I would have liked to do lath and plaster too as it would have been good learning experiences for all the mess and holes I'm going to be making in the ceiling in the very near future. oh well there'll be lots of practice for that later...holes just about done now anyway. Ready to starting plastering but can't start working till 10 am, building rules!

Last edited by ACY; 10-22-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #8
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

Just our of curiosity: What room is this? I see a toilet. 1/2 bath, full bath? Is there a vanity in there? It seems like with that recessed space above the plumbing you could add a vanity and have a nice big deep medicine/stuff cabinet up there if you put a vanity there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Why are there 2 drains coming out of the wall?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACY View Post
The bottom one isn't a drain, it's piece of scrap to give the water supply line a little support.
Hahaha. I was rapidly scrolling to the bottom to ask the same question after looking at the pics
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
ACY

This is my one and only bathroom in my 1950's apartment (switched to co-ownership in the 70's). It is a full bath; the vanity slides right into that space and your right the original medicine cabinets were put right into the walls and as I move forward with my renovations I'll probably take advantage of that. The old owners put the cabinet over cavity and never took advantage of it! One slight issue is that this wall is parallel to the corridor behind it, there's only two rows of block and then plaster separating me form the corridor and noise is already a little bit of an issue!

I should post some more pics as slapped some drywall over the hole and plastered it and it came out pretty good. I was pretty pleased with my plumbing job! not bad for an amateur and saved me a lot of money. I had quotes from plumbers ranging from $300-500 for just the rough in. All in it cost me about $150. One scary thing I found out after the fact though is I might have exposed myself to asbestos. I'll never know for sure but the mortar and maybe the fire wall that I had to break into may have contained asbestos...no one knows for sure but this is the way everyone installs washer hookups in the building!
Old 10-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #10
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

OH! I was looking at it the wrong way. I thought the pics you posted were of the plumbing you had just added, but I now see that the new plumbing is to the left.

Well if your primary concern is noise and the vanity will cover the hole I'd say you've solved the problem.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:21 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 278

1. strap/support that water supply properly....lose the balancing act.

2. clean up all that metal lath

3. new metal lath over the entire area.

4. 3 or 4 coats of plaster, paint and done.

nothing is easier than plaster, whats the deal? (i guess sheetrock is easier, but that wont work here).

just go to your local store and pick up something like this

http://www.cemcosteel.com/ca-44.aspx

Advertisement

jcrack_corn is offline   Reply With Quote