Painting Chain Link Fence Canvas - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2008, 01:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting Chain Link Fence Canvas

I work at an elementary school in Los Angeles and need some help on an idea we have been throwing around. We want to cover a chain link fence with a canvas and then have the kids paint it. We would like it to last for a year or two and not get too damaged from the intense sun. The fence is about 10 feet tall and 60 feet long.

My question is what type of canvas/material should I look into using that will be able to receive paint easily and last through the weather (and where I can purchase it / general price), how to prepare the surface to receive the paint, what type of paint to use, and what I should do after painting to help it withstand the sun and rain.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated because I don't really know the best way to do this. Thank you in advance.

-Dustin

Advertisement

Thorusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:03 AM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Your best bet may be to find a local sign company that produces banners. They can set you up with a blank banner with grommets to fasten to the chain link. Without any graphics, the blank should be fairly inexpensive. Banner material is available in several different types and sizes, most will accept paint. The same comnpany should be able to tell you what kind of paint will suit your purpose.

Advertisement

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:24 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Okay people, I have bought a canvas painting for my girlfriend. Itís a canvas oil painting 14" by 11" in size. The painting is dark blue on the edges and has lots of blue in it and the wall is beige in color. I am not sure what color wooden frame will look good. I want your help. Please recommend a color for my canvas painting/picture frame. Any helpful ideas will be greatly welcome. Thank you in advance.
ashle123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:44 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

If money is an issue (Im a teacher too, so I know it can be) and the banners are out of the budget, you can use canvas drop cloths. They have them in the paint departments of the big box stores. Ive painted them with acrylic paint and used them on the floor as rugs. You could add the grommets to hang them.
darlenep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

ashlee123 - Light Green like lime colored light green.
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:34 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

If the canvas is too expensive (and you can't get any sign company to do you a nice deal) then you could try wood. Just some panels of something light, bolted on at regular intervals. This might last longer than canvas. I'm no expert on painting though so there may be a reason why this wouldn't work, anyone?

Advertisement

JohnDIY is offline   Reply With Quote