Paint! Oil/Latex Woodwork! ???? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
Home Remodeler Wannabe

Rewards Points: 75

Paint! Oil/Latex Woodwork! ????

Good Afternoon,

I am stripping the 8 layers of wallpaper off my walls that my grandfather had put up over the last 60 years. So I am wanting to update the trim work while I am at it. I am ASSUMING (we all know what that does) that it is enamel on the woodwork. (is there a way to tell?) It is stark white and handrails are chocolate brown. I am changing the white to a cream color, my question is how would I go about prepping for painting the trim/baseboards? Sand enough to give a bite? Take it down to bare wood? Or can I just putty nail holes, scrub with tsp and paint? IS there a water based enamel? A boss I once had, (he was a very good carpenter) told me that after he painted his woodwork, he would put a coat of urthene over it! Is that advisible? What if I want to change it later?

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN!

Advertisement

Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

chip off a piece of the trim paint. If it is very brittle it is oil, if it is soft and flexible it is latex. To recoat.... clean first, wipe with Wilbond and paint with an acrylic latex paint. BM or SW.... not the box store cheap stuff. With paint you get what you pay for. The more you spend the less often you have to redo it and the easy it is to use and it looks better. cheap paint is out there because too many people do not take the time to learn what do do with their home care issues. With the dark color trim prime first to help cover. No need to use a urethane coat. The new paints protect just as well.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,178

If you ultimately decide to strip the pain, get it checked first to see if it is lead paint. As you indicate the house is 60 years old, there is a good chance the paint has high lead content. If so, sanding is out of the question unless you have full hazmat suit and training. Chemical stripping may be possible, although some of that stripper is pretty nasty.

We have had poor results painting over existing paint, I have never used the Wilbond product bob referred to, hopefully that will work. We have found that total removal down to wood works well, although it is time consuming.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote