Paint The Brick Or Not? Walkway? Advice NEEDED! - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2009, 10:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Paint the brick or not? Walkway? Advice NEEDED!

To paint the brick or not? We recently painted the trim and gutters an off white... looks fresh. So, as for the brick, should I paint at all? And if so, what color? I was thinking a grey to go with the trim the way it is. All the houses are ranch style in our neighborhood, and our neighbor was the first to paint his house. They did a cream color with black shutters, with a slate walkway... they modernized it and it looks great. We shouldn't match there color though.

Beyond that, I want to dig out all the monkey grass. I would like to take out the azaleas and move them to the backyard. There is a walkway behind the azaleas, I am going to take that out. Basically I will have an entirely new slate to work with. I am going to curve a walkway from the driveway to the front entrance. If we keep the brick I am going to use a flagstone sandstone/clay variation stone. I am going mortar it to the concrete base leading up to the door, and then the walkway will be dry set... just gravel and sand.

We have a narrow driveway, so we need some stepping stones along the side (we have slate right now, which doesn't go with the brick).

So my main questions:
1. Paint? What color?

2. What color stone would you use if I did paint? My flagstone would be great with the brick, but should I look into slate or something for the walkway if I paint the brick. Would that be too much grey if I went with grey paint?

3. Should I make the walkway go along the entire driveway for when we get out of the car? Or just use the same color as the walkway and just have stepping stones along the driveway? (I know that would save material). Should I use a pea rock to go in between the stones? Or just gravel/sand

4. What plant them should I go with? Japanese maple, azaleas, ?

5. What would you do?!

Thanks a lot for your time, any opinion is appreciated.

Carson

Advertisement

Carssson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:31 PM   #2

Paint the brick or not? Walkway? Advice NEEDED!-dsc01628.jpg

Advertisement

Carssson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

I seldom like to have brick painted. Natural brick is usually great looking and low maintenance. Painting it means you have to continue to keep it painted, and it's difficult for you or a future owner to undo. If the brick or mortor is in poor condition - fix, don't paint. IMHO...
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:26 AM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

If it's a softer brick, paint can trap moisture in it and cause the surface to spall.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:53 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 264

So my main questions:
1. Paint? What color?

I would never paint brick unless it really looked bad… Brick is fairly maintenance free except for the rare but inevitable mortar joint failure. Also as mentioned above moisture can be trapped in the brick which has it own set of problems depending on you climate.

2. What color stone would you use if I did paint? My flagstone would be great with the brick, but should I look into slate or something for the walkway if I paint the brick. Would that be too much grey if I went with grey paint?

I love the look of flagstone when a brick or paver is used as a boarder.

3. Should I make the walkway go along the entire driveway for when we get out of the car? Or just use the same color as the walkway and just have stepping stones along the driveway? (I know that would save material). Should I use a pea rock to go in between the stones? Or just gravel/sand

I would keep the walk separate from the driveway and give it some curves to add some interest and terminate it at the driveway. Make the driveway a little wider maybe using a paver boarder matching boarder for the flagstone that will allow you to blend the walk into the driveway.

4. What plant them should I go with? Japanese maple, azaleas, ?

Sorry I can offer a suggestion for plants. I am not famillure with the plants outside S.W. PA.

5. What would you do?!
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

I will never understand why people paint brick.
NJ Brickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:43 PM   #7
Drywall and Painting Pro

Rewards Points: 334

Paint it. It will look more modern. I know it's hard to, but you'll be glad you did. (be sure to take some pics for us)

Checkout some of my How to videos->How to Secrets from a Drywall Finisher
Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:22 AM   #8

My house looks very much like yours, when we bought it it was painted white. One of my next jobs will be to try and remove the paint. If it cant be done I will try to cover it with something, vinyl, rock, cement board, anything but paint. Someone took a maintenance free material and made it maintenance forever.
My vote is don't do it, find another way to spruce up the look. I think siding 1/3 the way up or the top 2/3 with a trim board would break it up nicely. I also had a lot of heavy bushes in front. I pulled out every other one and replaced the remaining with lower ones and planted colorful flowers in front of them, but I still hate the white brick.

Last edited by larrylwill; 06-21-2009 at 12:25 AM.
larrylwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
Stone mason

Your brick looks Beautiful!
J.Stonemason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #10
Stone mason

Colorado Rose Flagstone would look good.

Last edited by J.Stonemason; 07-23-2009 at 03:31 PM.
J.Stonemason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:08 PM   #11
Roofing Contractor

Hi larrylwill,

Why would you buy a house that you did not like?

Leftyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:18 PM   #12

Because the house came with a $1,000,000 view on 2.75 acres. Were on a bluff 1000ft above the Tennessee river looking over it and 1 island toward Scottsboro Al. and are 10 min to major shopping, HD Wally World etc. and 3 min to grocery, bank, drugstore etc. a small road in the front, very quiet. I couldn't afford to tear it down and rebuild and there were no lots for sale and the price was good.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:57 AM   #13
Tom3982s

Make sure you love the color. Once it goes on, it does not come off easily. But I would do it if you hate the brick color.
Tom3982s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:51 AM   #14
Roofing Contractor

Hi larrylwill,

Ugly means little, with those benefits.
Leftyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:49 PM   #15

The house is livable and is about 2500sf. 4 Bedrooms 3 full baths, a rancher. I just finished gutting the kitchen and building it new. I put new loE windows in the whole house, just finished new LowE picture windows on the view side. 17ft of them. I still have a few thngs to do but Im getting there.
Here are some pctures, all but the 1st and last 2 taken from the back pourch.
http://xrl.in/2n16

Advertisement