Overloaded Extension Cord Kills Five - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 05:26 AM   #1
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Overloaded Extension Cord Kills Five


I am really not a morbid person and do not seek out this death and dying stuff but here is another sad story. In this case, five people died when an electrical fire started from plugging an electric barbecue into an extension cord not rated for the appliance.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...-fire-kills-5/

I once cleaned up a frat house where the boys had plugged extension cords into extension cords and then appliances of different kinds into the ultimate end. They had not noticed that all the female end receptacles were melted globs.

Space heater season is soon behind us but window AC will be here soon for some. Make sure you have an extension---if you must have one---rated for the unit! Always be leary of plugging anything with a heating or cooling element into an extension.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: outside ocala fl
Posts: 3,812
Rewards Points: 2,660
Default

Overloaded Extension Cord Kills Five


Yes all extension cords are not created equal. Get one rated for the job.

Advertisement

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far sw sub chicago
Posts: 4,104
Rewards Points: 2,680
Default

Overloaded Extension Cord Kills Five


that is common in the inner city.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 600
Rewards Points: 512
Default

Overloaded Extension Cord Kills Five


Ugh... no smoke detectors, as usual. They're not expensive. The landlord should have known it was wrong to not install them; you don't need to have a law tell you to.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
Member
 
Oso954's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Calif.
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 1,472
Default

Overloaded Extension Cord Kills Five


Quote:
The landlord should have known it was wrong to not install them;
Assumes facts that are not in evidence.
He may have installed them, or not. We don't know.
I've seen tenants rip them out when the thing starts beeping due to a low battery.
This is at least a 3 link accident. The grill was apparently left on, the cord was undersized, and no working smoke alarms. Changing any one of those, could have prevented the deaths.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 600
Rewards Points: 512
Default

Overloaded Extension Cord Kills Five


Well, we're not arguing this in court here. It says there were no smoke detectors-- not that they were missing batteries-- and it's already obvious to all that LIVING in a place without smoke detectors is dumb.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
Member
 
Oso954's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Calif.
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 1,472
Default

Overloaded Extension Cord Kills Five


Quote:
It says there were no smoke detectors-- not that they were missing batteries-
I didn't say a thing about missing batteries, although that happens.
What I said was, I have seen the tenants rip out (or otherwise remove) the entire smoke detector because they did not want to bother with it.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 600
Rewards Points: 512
Default

Overloaded Extension Cord Kills Five


Never mind. You misinterpreted my post and I don't feel like arguing with anyone.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
Household Handyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Albany, Ga.
Posts: 2,294
Rewards Points: 1,040
Default

Overloaded Extension Cord Kills Five


This recently happened here in S. GA. Two children and one elderly woman "who was believed to be their grandmother" died in a mobile home fire. The State Fire Investigators ruled that an extension cord was used to run a space heater, the extension cord had been run under an area rug, the extension cord became overheated and caught the rug on fire. The children and adult were in a room where the windows were not operable (for some reason unstated). The two adults who escaped the home smelled the smoke and ran out the front door. The adult woman was the Mother of the two children. Maybe I am different: IF I was in a home of any type, I smelled smoke or saw flames, and knew that even one of my children were in another room---either another dead body holding his child(ren) or they would be rescued.

Advertisement

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extension Cord Nightmare garrettc134 Electrical 15 09-25-2012 03:53 PM
Extension cord for generator pkucan Electrical 13 07-05-2012 05:07 PM
Is my extension cord OK? MT Stringer Electrical 4 10-20-2009 08:25 AM
I can't find 16 gauge heavy duty extension cord! darsunt Electrical 21 08-04-2009 08:50 PM
safe way to add extension to power cord sil Electrical 7 10-18-2007 10:58 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts