DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   General DIY Discussions (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/)
-   -   Overloaded Extension Cord Kills Five (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/overloaded-extension-cord-kills-five-177092/)

user1007 04-14-2013 04:26 AM

Overloaded Extension Cord Kills Five
 
I am really not a morbid person and do not seek out this death and dying stuff but here is another sad story. In this case, five people died when an electrical fire started from plugging an electric barbecue into an extension cord not rated for the appliance.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...-fire-kills-5/

I once cleaned up a frat house where the boys had plugged extension cords into extension cords and then appliances of different kinds into the ultimate end. They had not noticed that all the female end receptacles were melted globs.

Space heater season is soon behind us but window AC will be here soon for some. Make sure you have an extension---if you must have one---rated for the unit! Always be leary of plugging anything with a heating or cooling element into an extension.

ToolSeeker 04-14-2013 07:03 AM

Yes all extension cords are not created equal. Get one rated for the job.

Fix'n it 04-14-2013 08:50 AM

that is common in the inner city.

operagost 04-15-2013 12:38 PM

Ugh... no smoke detectors, as usual. They're not expensive. The landlord should have known it was wrong to not install them; you don't need to have a law tell you to.

Oso954 04-15-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

The landlord should have known it was wrong to not install them;
Assumes facts that are not in evidence.
He may have installed them, or not. We don't know.
I've seen tenants rip them out when the thing starts beeping due to a low battery.
This is at least a 3 link accident. The grill was apparently left on, the cord was undersized, and no working smoke alarms. Changing any one of those, could have prevented the deaths.

operagost 04-15-2013 02:45 PM

Well, we're not arguing this in court here. It says there were no smoke detectors-- not that they were missing batteries-- and it's already obvious to all that LIVING in a place without smoke detectors is dumb.

Oso954 04-15-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

It says there were no smoke detectors-- not that they were missing batteries-
I didn't say a thing about missing batteries, although that happens.
What I said was, I have seen the tenants rip out (or otherwise remove) the entire smoke detector because they did not want to bother with it.

operagost 04-15-2013 03:14 PM

Never mind. You misinterpreted my post and I don't feel like arguing with anyone.

Thurman 04-15-2013 05:20 PM

This recently happened here in S. GA. Two children and one elderly woman "who was believed to be their grandmother" died in a mobile home fire. The State Fire Investigators ruled that an extension cord was used to run a space heater, the extension cord had been run under an area rug, the extension cord became overheated and caught the rug on fire. The children and adult were in a room where the windows were not operable (for some reason unstated). The two adults who escaped the home smelled the smoke and ran out the front door. The adult woman was the Mother of the two children. Maybe I am different: IF I was in a home of any type, I smelled smoke or saw flames, and knew that even one of my children were in another room---either another dead body holding his child(ren) or they would be rescued.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved