Over The Range Microwave - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2012, 12:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Over the range microwave

The cabinet above my stove is 18 inches in height. How would I go about installing an over the range microwave. Most microwave are 16 inches in height, at least the one I want. What can I do to make this work? SOMEBODY, ANYBODY PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement

Lenalocsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 534

Over the range microwave

The distance from the stove top to the microwave needs to be at least 18".
Most cabinets over the stove are 12" high cabinets so they all match at the top.
A picture of what you have would use help.
Stock cabinets then just replace the one you have with a shorter one.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Lenalocsta (03-05-2012)
Old 03-05-2012, 12:51 AM   #3

Over the range microwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
The distance from the stove top to the microwave needs to be at least 18".
Most cabinets over the stove are 12" high cabinets so they all match at the top.
A picture of what you have would use help.
Stock cabinets then just replace the one you have with a shorter one.
Ok, I will take a picture and load it.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:14 AM   #4

Over the range microwave

I have no idea how to attach my pic of my cabinet.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:16 AM   #5

Over the range microwave

I don't know how to load the pic. I'm new to this.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:20 AM   #6

Over the range microwave

What are stock cabinets? Are they cabinets that are always in stock or something?
Old 03-05-2012, 05:56 AM   #7

Over the range microwave

You can upload your photo to a site such as PhotoBucket.com. Once you've uploaded it there you can post the link here.
Skull Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

Over the range microwave

Or just click on "attachments" if you don't want to upload it somewhere.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #9

Over the range microwave

Stock cabinets are cabinets that are premade, usually a quick measurement of your existing cabinets will give some indication of whether they are stock or not. Stock cabinets usually come in widths starting at 12" and increasing by 3" increments, so 15", 18", 21", and 24" are typical cabinet widths as well as any of these doubled, 30", 36", 48".

You will want to consider other things aside from the obvious question of dimensions and "will it fit?". You want to make sure that the microwave you are installing has a power source that is compatable. In new construction, the microwave is typically required by code to be on it's own, dedicated circuit. When replacing a microwave, you have to be careful when picking a new one to ensure that you aren't going to be tripping the breaker every time you feel like some popcorn. When installing a new microwave where there wasn't one before, I can almost guarantee that the local codes for new construction will apply. Like I said a moment ago, usually this means a dedicated circuit which, in your case, means installing a new breaker in your service panel and running new wiring to the oven location and either hardwiring the microwave or installing a new outlet. If you want the hood to exhaust to the outside of the house (as opposed to the more useless version that just blows the exhaust back into the kitchen) then you are talking about a fairly destructive process. Unless you are very capable electrically and mechanically, call a contractor. If you do it yourself, make sure you obtain the required permits for the work you will be doing. Where I live, you are permitted to work on your own home without being a licensed contractor, but the work still has to be permitted, inspected, and approved.
Tyman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyman01 For This Useful Post:
user1007 (03-07-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 334

Over the range microwave

the first question would be do you have an electrical receptacle in the cabinet to plug the microwave into? without electricity, microwave no worky.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #11
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,612

Over the range microwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroNate View Post
the first question would be do you have an electrical receptacle in the cabinet to plug the microwave into? without electricity, microwave no worky.
The second question would be....is the microwave your tying to install made for over the stove installation?

Third question....do you have an existing vent hood?

I suspect you have this empty cabinet above your vent hood....and you want to install a standard microwave in it.....well...if that vent hood vents to the outside, then you will most likely have an issue with the vent pipe.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
user1007 (03-07-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,204

Over the range microwave

Uh, over-the-range microwaves don't typically go inside a cabinet, they go underneath them and are mounted to the wall.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Over the range microwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyman01 View Post
In new construction, the microwave is typically required by code to be on it's own, dedicated circuit. When replacing a microwave, you have to be careful when picking a new one to ensure that you aren't going to be tripping the breaker every time you feel like some popcorn. When installing a new microwave where there wasn't one before, I can almost guarantee that the local codes for new construction will apply. Like I said a moment ago, usually this means a dedicated circuit which, in your case, means installing a new breaker in your service panel and running new wiring to the oven location and either hardwiring the microwave or installing a new outlet. If you want the hood to exhaust to the outside of the house (as opposed to the more useless version that just blows the exhaust back into the kitchen) then you are talking about a fairly destructive process. Unless you are very capable electrically and mechanically, call a contractor. If you do it yourself, make sure you obtain the required permits for the work you will be doing. Where I live, you are permitted to work on your own home without being a licensed contractor, but the work still has to be permitted, inspected, and approved.
Where I live and have lived too!I happen to hate microwave ovens so may not be so sympathetic. You cannot cook anything on those small overhead things but evil looking gray chicken, twice killed fish, and carrots that turn a strange color not from the earth.

A set of good clad cookware and even a wok with a steamer will cook nice food on even an electric stove faster and with less energy and current worries about having to rewire and reconfigure your kitchen.

Not to bash you, but you do not need a microwave. Just a decent stovetop---gas or electric---and some nice cookware. No chef, for example, lets Mike cook the food.

Last edited by user1007; 03-07-2012 at 11:51 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,000

Over the range microwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
is the microwave your tying to install made for over the stove installation?
Yes, otherwise you bake the microwave gizzards and shorten its lifetime every time your cooktop is on.

A vent fan between the cooktop and microwave that runs when the cooktop is on may help this.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #15
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,612

Over the range microwave

Ok....I read her post wrong....I thought she was trying to put a microwave inside the 18" cabinet.....

So it goes back to....is there and existing vent pipe?

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote