Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Outside foam basement insulation

Could somebody suggest a way to protect my outside foam basement insulation from my weed wacker taking down the weeds growing next to the foam insulation.

lucasm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,000

Got a picture? It never should have been left exposed. It should have been back filled over the top of it.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 546

YES, IT IS BEST TO BURY IT.

However, when it is not possible to bury it, I have covered it with a very heavy vinyl siding which is made to look like stone or brick.

The problem with this is that this siding needs to be installed, then sided over. Maybe you can remove your first row of siding and install the stuff, then side over it again.

This is the only siding I have found which can be buried. And it will hold up to your weed wacker as well.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

Stucco would be the best way to protect it, vs. Vinyl siding. You could also use Cement board siding as a way of dressing it up also.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,000

Really need that picture.
I see major issues with the suggestions so far.
I'm picturing that foam stick out some from the foundation so how would any form of siding work.
Even .045 Vinyl siding would just get torn up, Hardee can not be installed within 2" of the grade and the whacker would just beat off the paint.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 576

I have attacked a similar issue with 3X5 cement board cut to size and glued & screwed in place. Topped it off with a slurry of surface bonding cement to give it a nice uniform appearance.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

IMO, if the foam board is thick enough, any of the suggestions would work. Thinner f.b. would not act as a effective vapor/moisture retarder and wick moisture right through it to the concrete wall if not for a liquid applied or membrane v.b.

Gary
Old 08-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 546

I had a house lifted and a basement poured underneath.

I had done a lot of other houses with brick veneers and 2" xps on the exterior and I simply graded up a few courses of brick.

In the case of the new basement/old house, I put down a 2x10 sill plate, making sure to have 2" overhang on the outside. My xps came up to the sill plate. I nailed the heavy vinyl stone looking stuff to the sill plate area and it hung below.

The sill plate stuck out a varying amount from the wall. The bsmt was poured to conform with where the house was, but the house walls weren't perfectly straight. The new basement walls were straight.

Anyway, there was a lip and I addressed this by flashing it with aluminum flashing which came out over the sill plate and down over the nailing flange on the heavy vinyl. It went up the rim joist a bit and was covered by starter strip and then vinyl.

I hope anyone interested can follow this description.

I knew a guy who tried to coat the xps with some plaster stuff and some mice colonized the area and it was a big mess.

I still think the brick veneer and the xps completely below grade is the final solution.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

I've installed foam insulation on foundations, and a simple way to protect it is with the fiber-cement coating (parge) that is designed for it. I've also used the fiber cement that is designed for surface bonding concrete block. The foam is scarified with a wire brush, then the coating is troweled on. It can be about as thick as you want, but several thin layers works best.
Yes, it can be damaged, and the foam can be damaged, too...but a can of touch-n-foam, some trimming tools and that coating laid on the patch, and it's good again. There are better methods, but this is about as simple and cheap as you will find.
If more protecting along the trimming line is wanted, I suppose a patio paver on edge would give a pretty decent trim height.

Solarboy is offline   Reply With Quote