OUtside Door Installation - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2008, 05:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

OUtside Door installation

I live in a mobile home so there is always movement of the mobile home walls. (northern Minnesota). The present door shifts and at times during the year moves out of the parameters for the bolt hitting the strike plate hole.

It is a prehung door that is there now. Is there a door system that will allow for movement of the whole assembly so the door always stays true with the bolt and strike plate even when the wall shifts? If so I would like to replace my old one so I can get away from this problem.

Thanks for any ideas or recommendations.

John

Advertisement

johnboy691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Not that I know of ! I did do two jobs on mobile home to try and fix the problem that you are having. The owner wanted the trailer to stop heaving in the colder months. plus she wanted a gable roof installed on it. so what we did was move the trailer and installed a footing around the base of the trailer. and installed a block foundation wall. Brought the trailer back and installed it on the foundation. She loved it and has not had the problem.
Another time we dug sono tubes down below the frost line filled them with concrete and posted up on both sides of the door under a girder which spanned the width of the door. that worked also but it did not fix the rest of the trailer from heaving.

Advertisement

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:56 AM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Bob's right. The ultimate fix is to prevent the shifting. If the door is shifting, so is everything else. Years ago, I used to dread installing locks on mobile homes. There was always the inevitable call "The lock you installed doesn't work". In fact the lock worked fine, the trailer had shifted. On some of the more notorious ones, I took a 4" ANSI strike plate and filed the hole for the latchbolt oversize for height. Then the door could shift vertically and the latchbolt would still enter the strike. An ANSI strike is what you see in most commercial metal door frames. They sell them at Lowes or any local locksmith shop should have one.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote