Outdoor Lighting - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

outdoor lighting

I am looking for some kind of outdoor lighting like a flood light that I can attach to my garage so it is not so dark in my back yard when i have people over at night.

My issue is the garage has no electrical power source and solar power seems to provide very little light. Is there a battery powered light that can be used for this? I know battery power wont nearly light it as well, but I could use more than 1. I've tried googling many different searches, but no luck.

thank you

Advertisement

itl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
Challenge Everything!

Rewards Points: 81

outdoor lighting

I got a couple of these here and they have been working fantastic for about a year:

http://www.costco.com/Sunforce-Produ....11679366.html

Easy to install, maintenance free, very bright!
Cheers,

Advertisement

Deja-vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
Always learning...

Rewards Points: 250

outdoor lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja-vue View Post
I got a couple of these here and they have been working fantastic for about a year:

http://www.costco.com/Sunforce-Produ....11679366.html

Easy to install, maintenance free, very bright!
Cheers,
Curious, how long does the battery normally last and is it regulated or does it fade?
fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

outdoor lighting

Those LED solar floods are pretty nice if you have no electricity where you want them. So long as you do not have critters tripping the motion sensors on all the time. Some have sensitivity adjustments.

You sure you do not want to run an electrical line, either line voltage or low voltage, to hardwire something if you need a really bright light?

Battery operated lights will have you out there switching the battery every other day I fear or you trade brightness for battery life.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
Challenge Everything!

outdoor lighting

Quote:
Some have sensitivity adjustments.
They do.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
Challenge Everything!

outdoor lighting

Quote:
Curious, how long does the battery normally last and is it regulated or does it fade?
I have mine to stay on only for about a minute or so, it is adjustable.
Since they use LED's, (60 or so) they haven't faded since I installed them.
My Neighbor already complained that they are visible across my Yard, into his.
Like I said, they are extremely white and bright.
For the Money, a no-brainer.
Cheers,
Old 04-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 266

outdoor lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by itl8 View Post
I am looking for some kind of outdoor lighting like a flood light that I can attach to my garage so it is not so dark in my back yard when i have people over at night.

My issue is the garage has no electrical power source and solar power seems to provide very little light. Is there a battery powered light that can be used for this? I know battery power wont nearly light it as well, but I could use more than 1. I've tried googling many different searches, but no luck.

thank you
Look at low voltage outdoor lighting. They make a lot of different types of lighting styles and designs in low voltage. They run usually on 12v which makes it safer to run underground wiring say from the house? If not, you could possibly power them with a deep discharge marine 12v battery. Keep the battery charged up with a small solar charger. As long as you're not using the lights every night, should work fine.
old_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

outdoor lighting

Those solar floods seem hard to beat if I needed some!

If you go low voltage, think outside the box and look at mast running lights, deck lights and things for sailboats and fishing boats. They may be cheaper than landscape fixtures.

I've found places like Big Lots have great prices on plastic fantastic low voltage lighting kits about now. The fixtures are horrible so you can throw those away (or rescue the bulbs and sockets and make your own lights) but the rest of the kits is often a cheap way to buy decent direct burial low-voltage wire and a basic transformer.

Last edited by user1007; 04-27-2013 at 10:49 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 790

outdoor lighting

Sounds like you need good light for entertaining guests out by the garage at night. (we call that "drink some beers"). Personally I think I would use a Colman lantern.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 25

outdoor lighting

Apart from LED's, Halogen outdoor lighting produces excellent results. They offer the brightness and directional capabilities needed outside. Since halogen bulbs are relatively lasts long, they are getting popular.
leenamark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,648

outdoor lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by leenamark1 View Post
Apart from LED's, Halogen outdoor lighting produces excellent results. They offer the brightness and directional capabilities needed outside. Since halogen bulbs are relatively lasts long, they are getting popular.
Getting popular? I doubt that. They use 6x more energy than LED's or 5x more than a CFL....and are a potential fire hazard because of the high heat.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
Challenge Everything!

outdoor lighting

Quote:
Since halogen bulbs are relatively lasts long, they are getting popular.
I beg to differ:

http://www.zytechledus.com/LED-light...ndescents.html

Old 04-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #13
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,648

outdoor lighting

One little tid bit fact about halogens.....

The advantage of a halogen over the common incandescent is they are a little more efficient and last a 'little' longer than the incand. When you light an incandescent bulb, the tungsten starts to 'boil off' the filament. Basically, it's self destructing. That gray coating you see on the inside of a bulb is the tungsten deposited on the glass. The halogen gas in the bulb helps to redeposit the tungsten back onto the filament. For this to work right, you have to get the bulb hotter. I think the temp is something like 600 Deg C or so (need to confirm).

This high temp is one of the reasons for them being a fire hazard....and one of the reasons you can no longer buy one of those floor lamps with the bulb at the top.

When you use a tungsten lamp with a dimmer....if you run it at anything less than full brightness, you no longer have it hot enough and the halogen gas no longer does it's job....hence, the bulb is not going to last as long....and looses efficiency.

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote