Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
Kyle Emerick

Rewards Points: 75

outdoor kitchen countertop

I'm in the process of finalizing the block placement for my counter top walls shown in the image below. I am wondering what type of structure to use for the counter top. I have considered concrete but have been told that it will crack and not stand up to time/weather. If I use rebar and concrete with fiberglass and pour it like 3" thick, shouldn't that suffice?

My only other idea was to use plywood with wonderboard on top with metal studs every 12" to support the wood. I hate the idea of using wood outdoors.

Last edited by kemerick; 10-08-2013 at 07:14 PM. Reason: incorrect image link
kemerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Yea I would go with what you are thinking. I'm not an expert in this field, but I would be very hesitant to use wood outside. Just my opinion.

kevinhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

Why not tile? You could do a natural stone if this is in a weather protected location and you don't mind sealing. Or you could do a porcelain lookalike. Or a porcelain wood look. Or any of about a thousand different looks. I wouldn't do concrete around any cooking surfaces. It's porous and will absorb grease spatters and other food residue.

BTW, your design doesn't look like it uses the minimum recommended aisle space of 3'. 4' would be better. I'm also not really sure what the two different seating areas are for. Wouldn't it be better to have a single seating area done well than two that are "off"? What are your plans for ventilation for your grill since you show this as being in a covered area? And do you envision yourself actually doing a lot of food prep outside, or will all of the food prep occur indoors and then be carried outside? Because there's precious little space between the sink and cooking zone, and that's where all of the major work will take place.