Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

Outdoor DIY Rain Canopy

So for the past 5 yrs we have had an annual chili cook-off and it has always been perfect weather. It appears our luck has ran out as there is a good chance that its going to rain this Saturday.

I have a patio that is roughly 30x16, but currently there is nothing covering it. I have priced out some canopy's and rented-tents. All are way to expensive, $500+. I'm ok with spending some $, but I want to be able to reuse the solution for camping or other applications.

Currently my idea is to buy a 20 x 30 tarp and attached (long ways) to the side of my house using some hooks and the eyes on the tarp. The problem comes on the other side. I don't want to dig wholes in the middle of my yard.
So i'm trying to find a portable post solution... Something that can easily move but still somewhat sturdy.

Bonus points if it has an adjustable pole/post. Adjust from 10,8,6 ft tall maybe. This would allow for more clearance and proper drainage of rain.

HELP!!

THANKS!

jharris8567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,020

Outdoor DIY Rain Canopy

Going to be a bunch of issues to deal with that idea.
The grommets are going to be to far apart.
The water running off the tarp near the house is going to cause the tarp to sag and drain the water on to the deck.
One good gust of wind and it's going to be done for.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Outdoor DIY Rain Canopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
The water running off the tarp near the house is going to cause the tarp to sag and drain the water on to the deck
I thought about that. My solution was to have the side attached to my house at 9.5 ft high around 8-10ft from the house, I will have an 8ft tall "mobile post". giving a slope of 1.5ft. Then another 10 feet out, I plan on having a 6ft tall "mobile post". This should give it a 3.5ft slope that span the 20ft width of the tarp. Do you think that would help?

I am worried about the wind, but from what I hear it shouldn't be stormy, just an off and on rainy day. Plus with the big slope i'm hoping that helps the wind from getting under the canopy.

Any other suggestion you can make?

Also, I'm in Saint Louis
jharris8567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

Outdoor DIY Rain Canopy

use a pole with a nail ( or similar) in the top.

have guy wires running from the to top the pol to stakes in the ground

have something handy to poke the sags up to help the water drain if needed since you probably will not be able to keep a tarp stretched tight enough to prevent the water from pooling.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, canopy, diy, outdoor, patio