Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2010, 12:01 PM   #1

Share |
Question

outdoor cement bench

I built a cement bench with stones and pebbles on top, problem was that the stones were about 1/4" above the cement. I needed a resin to cover the 1/4"-I got a fiberglass resin, which did the job, but, did not by far dry clear. Finally, the question is what resin can I use to cover the 1/4" and dry CLEAR? Thank you for your time.

rsclark67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

outdoor cement bench

you need a dry condition to cure the resin and use a very high quality resin.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:33 PM   #3

outdoor cement bench

Thank you - How do I distinguish high Quality from low? Is there anything you would suggest or should i research fiberglass resin for a higher quality?
Old 01-31-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

outdoor cement bench

general use polyester resin. there is no such thing as fiberglass resin. fiberglass is the material often used with the resin to provide strength.

anyway, polyester resins meant for use with a fiberglass building system are not clear and they do not contain the proper additives to cause them to surface harden very well as they are generally used in a negative mold system where the surface that is seen is made against the surface of a mold. That causes if to cure differently and harden better.

to find a clear resin, you would look for a casting resin but you still have the problem of a sticky surface. You would need to look for a surfactant additive which would help seal the exposed surface from exposure to the air and help it cure more completely.

you are kind of stuck with a problem and a mess now. What you would need to do is wash the current surface with acetone to remove the sticky uncured resin. then, scruff it with, due to the stone lumpy surface, a fairly fine wire brush simply to scruff up the surface so the new layer will adhere.

then, as bob said, you need to do this is a very dry environment but it also needs to be a very warm environment as well. Poly resins do not like cool weather, let alone cold.

do not over catalyze the resin as it will produce too much heat and will cause it to yellow and possibly even crack.

that is another reason for a casting resin rather than a resin intended for use with a glass material. the casting resin is engineered to be less prone to cracking.

personally, I would have used an epoxy resin rather than a polyester resin.

epoxy resins are generally superior to polyester resins but you need to make sure that any resin you use is compatible with the resin already in place. Obviously you want them to adhere to each other but you also do not want one to interact with the other and cause it to damaged by the other type of resin.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

outdoor cement bench

Quote:
Finally, the question is what resin can I use to cover the 1/4" and dry CLEAR?
Ayuh,... You've got a problem with your table Design, even more so than the failed resin...

As noted by nap,... Casting Resins will dry/ harden Clear...
But,...Casting resins are Epoxy based resins...
That's the Gotcha though,...
Epoxy will Not take UV light...
As soon as you put it Outdoors, it'll start yellowing,+ breaking down...
Eventually, it'll break up,+ peel off, lookin' Nasty for Along Time...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

outdoor cement bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,... You've got a problem with your table Design, even more so than the failed resin...

As noted by nap,... Casting Resins will dry/ harden Clear...
But,...Casting resins are Epoxy based resins...
That's the Gotcha though,...
Epoxy will Not take UV light...
As soon as you put it Outdoors, it'll start yellowing,+ breaking down...
Eventually, it'll break up,+ peel off, lookin' Nasty for Along Time...
casting resins are epoxy resins if you buy an epoxy casting resin. There are polyester casting resins as well.

and you can get UV resistant epoxy. additives. it's all in the additives.

very few plastics (polys, vinyls, epoxies, etc) are UV resistant without some specific UV protection added into them.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:55 PM   #7

outdoor cement bench

Thank you all! So from what i gather, I should use (if there is no resin on the surface already) an epoxy resin with a uv blocker?Is this correct? Do they sell those at your home stores? If not where do I find them! P.s. Yes it was my first time and it was a design problem.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:01 PM   #8
nap
You talking to me?

outdoor cement bench

I would have to do a lot of research for me to suggest an appropriate specific product. I would start with a home store (but would not hold too much hope for it). You would need a product that more or less describes itself as applicable for situations similar to yours. If you cannot find anything that fits the bill, that might allow you to glean some manufacturers names that have products that are of similar type, just not the proper specific product, where you could research via the internet, that company and other product they make.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:06 PM   #9
Master General ReEngineer

outdoor cement bench

Quote:
Do they sell those at your home stores? If not where do I find them!
Ayuh,... I doubt you'll find much, if anything at all at a boxstore...
But,...
If you google up "Water clear casting resin"....
You'll find about 160,000 pages of links going to a wealth of plastics knowledge,+ the folks that sell the stuff...
Maybe bone up on Ideas for future projects,..

Btw,... Some of the money saved by buying polyester resins, vs. epoxy resins is lost on Shipping...
Polyester is listed as Hazardous,... Epoxy is Not....

Good Luck...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:08 PM   #10
Remodeling Contractor

outdoor cement bench

home stores sell cheap stuff only and will have nothing worth your time. Try online stores or your local marine supplier. Something like this one; http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/cate...FRE55QodmjUO3A
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:27 PM   #11

outdoor cement bench

Once again, thank you all for your time it was very helpful. P.S. sorry I posted in the wrong areas
Old 02-01-2010, 06:51 AM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

outdoor cement bench

I use the products from this company a lot. The concrete expoxy products will work well for you I think. Call and explain your situation. They have a great, knowledgable customer service department that you will not find at a box store. An unlike a box store, you can count on the products being within the expiration date period! Look very carefully if you buy at a box store.

http://www.abatron.com/cms/buildinga...ecoatings.html

Last edited by user1007; 02-01-2010 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Added URL
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote