Outdoor Ceiling Fans Issues - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Outdoor ceiling fans issues

I am trying to replace these two out lights for ceiling fans. The lights work when started. I got the fans installed match all the wires : white to white and black to black. But the fans didn't work. This not my first time intalling fans but it is my first time installing outdoor fans. Does anyone know whAtI might be doing wrong??

Advertisement

Eli3635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,486

Go back and check the wiring. Post a picture please showing how you hooked them up.

Advertisement

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Fans with light kits are wired with 2 hot wires, a blue and black . The blue wire goes to the lights and the black wire to the fan.
Did you run a 2 wire or a 3 wire to the fan? If you only ran a 2 wire(black and white), you would need to control one function from the pull chains( if you wanted the fan on, but not the lights).

Last edited by Ron6519; 08-22-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #4

I can get a picture up tomarrow. I've put various ceiling fans in the past but they were all indoor fans. So I think I got a pretty good understanding of the blue and black wires
Old 08-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #5

I ran a two wire. These fans don't have light kits although they still have the blue wire in case I wanted to add the lights. Sorry I didn't see the second part of your reply.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #6

I took down to florescent light kits that ran on the same switch and disconnected a floodlight that was on a different switch. I capped the floodlight connections and connected my 2 fans to were the florescent lights were. To initially run two fans on one switch.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli3635 View Post
I can get a picture up tomarrow. I've put various ceiling fans in the past but they were all indoor fans. So I think I got a pretty good understanding of the blue and black wires
There is no difference in wiring, based on the fans location.
If you attached both the blue and black wire of the fan to the hot wire of the feed. it should work.
Did you try the pull chain on the unit to start the fan?
Old 08-24-2011, 08:50 AM   #8

Quote:
I took down to florescent light kits that ran on the same switch and disconnected a floodlight that was on a different switch. I capped the floodlight connections and connected my 2 fans to were the florescent lights were. To initially run two fans on one switch.
I don't know how the floodlight switch and capping relate to the fans not working.
Is the line to the fans live?
Are the fan switches "on"?
Old 08-24-2011, 09:54 AM   #9

Ok. I got 1 fan to work. I used the wiring from the flood light. I made sure both the hot wires were connected. Now I am I can't get the other fan to work. I tried to throw the switch and nothing happened. The electric was working before I started this to all the switches.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Ok. I got 1 fan to work. I used the wiring from the flood light. I made sure both the hot wires were connected. Now I am I can't get the other fan to work. I tried to throw the switch and nothing happened. The electric was working before I started this to all the switches.
You didn't say whether the fan had power to the ceiling box.
You need to know what switch controls what ceiling box(or boxes).
Your descriptions are not detailed, so it's hard to understand, what you have now.
Originally:
One switch controlling 2 separate florescent lights
and
Switch controlling a floodlight.
Now?:
Floodlight switch controlling 1 fan with is functioning
Switch(florescent) controlling 1 fan, which is non functioning.
-Is there now power to the fan box?
Old 08-24-2011, 01:16 PM   #11

Sorry about my details. I did not realize that even though I had to separate switches that they are connected to run a continuous flow of power. I really appreciate your help and everyone else that chimed in. I think I got it now.

Advertisement