Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2009, 09:08 PM   #1

Share |

Out-swing patio door

I am considering replacing the current sliding patio door with an out-swing French door. An in-swing is not possible due to space constraints in the kitchen. I don't care for sliding doors because the tracks collect crud and always seem to be dirty. My concern about the out-swing door is that we have very high wind storms and the winds would be perpendicular to how the door would open. Has anyone had experience with these doors in a windy area? Thanks.
jent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:21 PM   #2

Out-swing patio door

I enclosed our front porch & made a 3 season porch
The main reason is that the wind would yank the storm door out of our hands & I figured it was only a matter of time before it was destroyed. I now have a full weather door on the 3 season porch that swings in

If the door swings out you need a 36" landing outside
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:31 AM   #3

Out-swing patio door

Good advice scuba. I might like to mention that a good quality slider would make a big difference...I'm not sure what you've had in the past. Anderson makes a great vinyl clad patio slider that sells for around $1500 last time I checked. They operate smoothly and are low maintenance and they last for a very long time. I have seen dozens of the cheap sliders and they aren't worth a second look. The tracks and sliding mechanisms wear out or don't slide easily and after a while the door doesn't operate very well. Not to mention the latches and the bowing of the door itself. You won't have that with a quality door like Anderson.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

Out-swing patio door

I would give serious thought to how this door would be used and by whom. If you use it only to access the backyard, maybe. But if this is a door you use a lot, well, just picture trying to bring in groceries on a windy day. Or if you have kids, can they handle it? We lived in Oklahoma for several years and I remember fighting the storm door on windy days and hating it.

We have three sliders in our current house and DH wanted to replace at least one of them with french doors. We were dissuaded by several people who told us they often leak in a heavy rain. I'm sure the quality of the door and how they are installed have a lot to do with this. Something you might want to research.

As far as slider tracks collecting crud: A lot has to do with how you lubricate them. I found out on this forum not to use any type of grease. We now use a Teflon silicone lubricant spray. With four shedding dogs this makes a big difference for us.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:00 AM   #5

Out-swing patio door

A sliding door, unfortunately had the bottom track "can" that is significantly high off the floor, usually one inch, and more. The swing out uses a more accessible threshold, and doesn't get beat up with tons of use. There are doors with center set hinges, more commong in high end homes and commercial applicatons. they work great and resist being blown back and forth.
allencd@cox.net is offline   Reply With Quote