Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2012, 08:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

OSB prices

Hi all,
I have been on a slow track basement reno. I started with a blank slate and at this point I am getting close to doing the basement floor. I decided to use (and already purchased) delta FL and will cover it with a minimum of 19/32 OSB. Just today I am looking at prices and wow they seem to be about $4 + more a sheet than last fall. I know it is a game of supply and demand but just wondering if any of you out there have more knowledge or gut feeling about pricing flutuations and if I should just wait a month or so, or run out and get my 35 sheets now. Any thoughts?
TIA

I just wanted to add i know it is not that much in overall total price but back in 2010 osb went through the roof and dont want to get caught if it happens again

Last edited by mstew; 03-30-2012 at 08:13 AM.
mstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,062

OSB prices

OSB is not suitable as subflooring.

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,014

OSB prices

How dry is this basement?
I did something a little differant in my own house. I layed down 6 mil. plastic, a layer of 1" blue foam, then used 3/4 T & G Advantec. I Tap Coned it all down to the slab with flat head heads.
It came out flat, does not move at all, and it's now far warmer to walk on.
I had to go back years later and remove some it to cut into the slab for some drain lines and there was 0 mold or moisture under any of it.
I heard so many differant opions on using Allour strip flooring that I just had to try it. I installed it about a year ago and have had 0 problums with it.
At times I've had up to 5, pound puppys living in the house and even near the water bowl I've seen no damage to the flooring.
Not suggesting that your use Allour, but by using the Advantec as a subfloor it opens up your option on what flooring you can use over it. By also adding an underlayment it gives you even more choises.
I like to try differant ways of doing things on my own house so if they fail I only have myself to blame.
Most likly there's going to be some negative comments made about the way I did it but it worked for me.
As far as OSB going up it always seem like as soon as hurricane season hit's it goes up.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
mstew (03-30-2012)
Old 03-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,294

OSB prices

Ever hear the expression, "You learn by your mistakes".....

Well...that is why I'm so bloody smart now.....for the most part....

Yea, OSB is not the material of choice...two issues....rough surface and the stuff will fall apart if it stays wet for an extended period of time.

I would suggest T&G plywood. Yes, your going to pay about twice of what OSB would cost...but then end result will be much better and last a lot longer. I'm in the middle of a 2-story addition right now...my second story use 1 1/8" T&G plywood....I am so glad I did...it's about par to walking on concrete...well...almost....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
mstew (03-30-2012)
Old 03-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

OSB prices

I am open to ideas, and this forum has given me the knowledge of the "modern" way of insulating and doing a basment. The use of T&G ply or the advantech I really had not considered or given much thought to. My use of the Delta-FL is firm though. (laughing) I already bought the rolls for the basement. Those not fimiliar it is a dimpled product to form the vapor barrier off the concrete then overlayed with a "osb" or ply subfloor and tapconed down. I did see my one box store carries what is "their" brand name of advantech. Anyway the basement is dry, also a walkout. I am not set on carpet or engineered hard wood yet but feel i will lean to the latter. I really do not want to cut corners but here it seems I am/was by wanting cheaper osb. Not wanting to cut corners is why it is a slow paced reno, get the money and buy the material, not using credit...yet.
mstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #6

OSB prices

I tryed the off brand subflooring in a shed floor. After a few months it started to flake on the bottom side.
Advantech comes with a 50 year warrenty againt falling apart.
I went so far as to cut a piece of OSB and a piece of Advantech and drilling a hole in each adding a piece of rope and throwing them into the bay for a week to prove a point to a customer with a house that gets flooded everytime a a big storm blows through. The OSB had fallen apart and broke off, the Advantec had not even changed in size by more then a 1/16" and had not flaked.
For what your doing I would be afraid that plywood could delaminiate, or mold up. The wax coating on Advantech helps to protect it.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

OSB prices

(as others have stated) I'd also suggest the use of Advantech. Its our preferred subfloor material on new construction and addition projects.

Additionally, I'd suggest using some sort of vapor barrier between the advantech and the concrete floor. If you want to go one step further, you could apply a water proofing agent like drylok to (over) the concrete floor.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 252

OSB prices

good info.

Since the topic is trending to T&G I have a question about installation:

I have 3/4" t&G for my 2nd story addition...it is definitely very solid, but one question....i have had to cut 2 sections out to do some electrical and plumbing....standard cut along the seams to cut the tongues out. (doing project in steps due to time/money constraints, subfloor was finished months ago, thats why it just all wasnt done at one time after all systems in place).

do you guys notice a big difference in total floor strength/bounce in that area when this has to happen? I have not noticed any real difference with just butt joints now. It is only screwed and not glued yet, but I plan to glue and screw once all systems work is done.

Should I/do you put blocking under the seams with the tongues gone now?
jcrack_corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #9

OSB prices

Far better to use blocking.
0 chance of flexing or squecking later.