Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2009, 12:16 PM   #1

Share |

order of things

HI I am finishign a basement at the moment, all drywall is up and painted.
I have a bedroom, a living room, bathroom, laundry room, and a closet/crawl space.
I plan on doing carpet in the bedroom, the adura tile in bathroom, and engineered hardwood in the living room.
When shoudl I put the doors up right away or wait?
The bedroom door (carpet in bedroom) will go into the living room which will have engineered wood. Bathroom door also goes to living room. I have all the doors and basemolding and tile is coming this week and we are purchasing hardwood floors soon. Can I hang the doors now? Should I wait with the doors and do hardwood floors and tile first then hang doors and molding and carpet last. Hang the doors now and just undercut everything? I am just not sure of the order to do things here. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #2

order of things

also planned on doing a floating floor for the hardwood in living room. What is the best way to tell if I have to put a subfloor in or if I can lay right on the concrete? The cement floor seems to be in good condition just do not know if I should lay right on it or make a sub floor of wood or I have also heard cork? I would like to lay right on concrete but I am not sure of the tolerances in cement to look for?

Old 12-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #3

order of things

I've always hung doors and run trim right after sheetrock/prime, but I sub out the flooring and the subs cut out where they need to...you may want to put down your flooring first (then protect it, of course) and then install your doors/trim so you don't have to fool with cutting jambs etc.

I've pretty much always used a pre-finished engineered hardwood flooring with a vapor-barrier glue...you don't want to install solid hardwoods directly over a slab, the moisture will ruin it pretty quickly...
Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:22 PM   #4

order of things

yeah there will be a moisture vapor barrier put down. Is cutting jams a big pain or should I wait with the doors?

When I spoke with some poeple there was a moisture barrier underlayment that was on the hardwood and then you can buy it in rolls to, they had one stuff that had a little insultation to it also attached to the rubber pad and said laying both down would be more expensive but a better solution to keeping it more solid. Is that an option?

also If the doors go in first do I raise them upoff the concrete a little or lay them flat and cut later. I know for the bedroom living room door there is carpet and hardood at that door so I would have to raise it up a little to be able to open the door with the carpet but it may be to high on the hardwood floor side of the door?
Old 12-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #5

order of things

We've only used the engineered hardwood with the vapor barrier glue, but there are other options that others will pipe in with I'm sure.

As a new diy'r I'd put the doors in after your hardwoods/tile, so you can just set them directly on the finished floor, as cutting jambs can be a bit of a hassle to the uninitiated...not particular hard, but it can be a pain at first.

As far as where carpeting is going in, I usually leave a 3/8" gap on door jambs and baseboard for carpet/pad...unless you're going with a 70's shag, then leave a 2" gap
Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote