Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2008, 09:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Open shelves in kitchen

I have completely gutted our kitchen. We have come up with a design that we like. One wall pantry/stove/microwave/frig. The opposite wall gas cooktop with stainless range hood. No upper cabinets. Instead on one side of the range we would like two or three open shelves. I do not want visable brackets, I want the shelves to look like they are floating.

Are there commercially available shelve units like this? Where do I shop them?
Or if I build the shelves, how are they hung?

gorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Open shelves in kitchen

If you've got the wallboard stripped off, you could bolt some steel plates to the side of the studs. I'm thinking something about 2" wide, 1/4" thick, and as long as the shelf is deep. Accounting for the width of the stud, something about 14" would allow you to put a box-shaped shelf over the steel plate once the wall is rocked, and it would stick out of the wall about 11". A steel fabricator could easily make them, and drill a couple bolt holes in them for you. Then you'd just slide the wooden box shelves over them.

Hope that's understandable.

The other option is to screw a wooden cleat (like a 2x2) to the wall, and attach wooden box shelves to the top of the cleat with some trim screws screwed down through the top of the shelf. This would work for light storage but wouldn't be something you should put 200 pounds of canned goods on.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Open shelves in kitchen

There are shelves like that commercially available but I'm not sure if they would be up to the task. They tend to be aimed at the bedroom/living room and as thekctermite says they might not hold a great deal.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 08-29-2008 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Site Rules Violation: Advertising Link Removed from Signature
JohnDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Open shelves in kitchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
If you've got the wallboard stripped off, you could bolt some steel plates to the side of the studs. I'm thinking something about 2" wide, 1/4" thick, and as long as the shelf is deep. Accounting for the width of the stud, something about 14" would allow you to put a box-shaped shelf over the steel plate once the wall is rocked, and it would stick out of the wall about 11". A steel fabricator could easily make them, and drill a couple bolt holes in them for you. Then you'd just slide the wooden box shelves over them.

Hope that's understandable.

The other option is to screw a wooden cleat (like a 2x2) to the wall, and attach wooden box shelves to the top of the cleat with some trim screws screwed down through the top of the shelf. This would work for light storage but wouldn't be something you should put 200 pounds of canned goods on.

Thanks - my final solution is very very close to your suggestion.

24 inch piece of mild steel 2 inch x 1/4 bent 90 degrees. Notched out the studs 1/4 so the sheet rock would lay flat. counter sunk screw holes and screwed the brackets to the studs. Shelves are two pieces of 3/4 with a slot cut in them for the brackets. Looks great and is fairly strong.
gorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Open shelves in kitchen

Great! Thanks for following up and letting us know how it worked out.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote