One Corner Of Secornd Floor Room Is Low - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-25-2008, 04:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

one corner of secornd floor room is low

Hi all,
I'm not quite sure how to pose this, but I'll try to explain. My home is 73 years old. Recently have I decided to remove the carpet from an upstairs bedroom. Once I did that I saw that there is a corner (northwest) where the floor has dropped away by about 3/4 inch right at the corner. I thought at first that I could conceal it with a taller base cap, but that will not work. As I lay a length of base cap along the floor I could see where the corner drops away on two walls in that corner. I painted this room not long ago, and had to do only minor cosmetic work to fill in cracks in the walls; nothing very wide, just hairline cracks.
The thing is the floor only seems to drop along about a foot or less on each wall of the corner. I had thought I could use shims underneath the base caps, but that seems like a crappy cosmetic move. What to do? Is there a cosmetic route to take or am I looking at heavy structure repair.
thanks!
Flyby out

Advertisement

99th_Flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

If this is a recent event, I would see what the issue was and, like you said, not cover it up.
A drop of 3/4 " in that short a distance is odd considering the length of joists that span the space. I would open the ceiling from below and get a look at what's going on.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:09 PM   #3

Ron,
thanks for the reply. Sage advice there. I'll have to get a contractor in, as this is beyond my tinkerer talents. I know I'd better do my homework on a contractor too. There are far too many jake-legs out there in the home repair business. There ought to be a law! But there it is. The search begins!
Flyby out
btw, I have no idea how long the floor has been in this condition, in this one corner. I've lived here many years with a very ugly carpet that finally had to go, and viola! There was this corner. C'est la vive, eh?
Old 12-26-2008, 02:03 PM   #4
the Musigician

can you post a picture? this is curious....

DM
Old 12-26-2008, 02:17 PM   #5

Hey DM, I 'll see what I can do. Haven't had the old digital out in quite a while.
Flyby out
Old 12-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
the Musigician

rodger...

Penfold, please stop mucking about with the controls, you're about to...

DM
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2008, 03:35 PM   #7

Hi there,is there a chance you can cut a section out of the floor and inspect
it that way?do the work from top down
Frederick j Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:14 PM   #8
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick j Ward View Post
Hi there,is there a chance you can cut a section out of the floor and inspect
it that way?do the work from top down

He probably could, but it would be much easier to patch a small hole in the drywall than to mess with the subfloor.
jensenconstruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:16 PM   #9

hey guys,
I'll get there. Had to settle a new (threat) project. My hot water heater is giving up the ghost, and I've been chasing down a good decision all day. I'm not going to install this one as I did the last one elven years ago. All things considered, I've found a decent model to be installed at an affordable price. Now if the old one will just hold out for a few more days. I'd hate to have the wife go down to the creek and fetch me water to boil so I can get a bath.
"Shine my shoes, wummin!" **he thinks it but dares not say it**
Flyby out
Old 01-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #10

Hi gang,
Sorry I've been late in updating my situation. I'm trying to juggle some things, including my budget for getting things done. About the floor, I had a general contractor come in and look at it (originally I wanted him to bid on replacing my back entry door). He looked the floor over, noticed the old sub-floor underneath and surmised that it would be less expensive to simply use something called caulking buddy". This is supposed to be a putty-like product that will fill the gap to where I can install the base cap. He said had I not pointed it out he would not have noticed it right away. He added his opinion that the floor had been like that for quite some time, maybe even 50 years! The home was built in 1936.
At this point, I've got ongoing expenses and other things I need to get done. I guess I'll try the cosmetic approach and see where that gets me. It can't hurt?
Flyby out

Advertisement