Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2009, 11:17 PM   #1

Share |
Exclamation

OMG PLS HELP! driving me crazy! Cannot Replace Showerhead [ with PICS!]

Ive been trying to switch out my shower head the first attachment came off easily and now im trying to get off the "base" connector so i can attach my new showerhead to the main pipe......

here is a picture of how it looks right now after i removed the detachable showerhead...

^notice the marred surface its from the tools i tried using....

picture of the tools i used

the tools are able to grip the base firmly but no matter how hard i turn the darn thing does not budge...tried clockwise counterclockwise nothing

its drivin me nuts

why is this thing so hard to take off??? any advice would be appreciated

DIYNewbieCa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:30 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Pipe wrenches, two of them. Squeeze the handles toward one another like pliers. Pad them, of course.

The picture shows using two hands, but if the wrenches are close together, you can put one hand on both handles and squeeze.
Attached Images

Last edited by Willie T; 11-11-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Pipe wrenches, two of them. Squeeze the handles toward one another like pliers. Pad them, of course.

The picture shows using two hands, but if the wrenches are close together, you can put one hand on both handles and squeeze.

wouldnt a pipe wrench basically work the same way as these tools?

and the purpose of using two is so that one can hold the pipe in place while the other is used to unscrew the showerhead base right?

i tried using both of my tools at once and it stabilized the pipe better so i can get a better grip on the showerhead base but it still will not budge...

i dont remember ever using anything to tighten the base onto the pipe when i installed the old shower head is there a reason why its so hard to remove now??? could the water have calcified & bonded with the showerhead base?

UGH FRUSTRATION!!
DIYNewbieCa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:41 AM   #4
Remodeler

Hi

Hard to tell from the picture. Is the pipe that comes out of the wall new? If not, it maybe easier to remove the whole assembly and replace it with a new pipe, trim, and shower head. Grab pipe with your pipe wrench and turn counterclockwise.
Hope this helps.
fulline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:46 AM   #5
Remodeler

By the looks of the wrench, does it grab the pipe securely? Not trying to be a smartxxx, but you need nice teeth on it to securely grab the pipe. Just a thought.
fulline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:09 AM   #6

A pipe wrench will grab much better & will not slip, causing the gouges
I use an old towel wrapped around the finish
Then I slowly exert pressure until I'm sure it won't slip
With a pipe wrench will be able to apply enough pressure
That will very rarely happen with pliers or slip pliers
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:13 AM   #7

It seems like, in your picture on the left side of the part you are removing, there is a land (flat spot) on the fixture. Did you try a correctly sized wrench on the lands?

Last edited by Salem747; 11-12-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Salem747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:25 AM   #8

yep I would replace the piece into the wall. Dont forget to use tape or sealer on end in wall
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:16 AM   #9
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

WARNING If you already cannot break the shower head free from the pipe, (And no, not with those pliers, but with TWO pipe wrenches like I said.), then it would be foolish and irresponsible to just grab hold of the pipe that goes back into the wall for a twist.

With no way to securely hold the fitting that pipe goes into back inside the wall, there is way too much chance of damaging the hidden connection by twisting away with only one wrench on the pipe.

Man, can't you even borrow a couple of pipe wrenches from some friends?
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #10

Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #11
Remodeler

As one of the previous posters wrote, use two pipe wrenches. They are designed to clamp down with great force when you twist them around the pipe...much greater force than you can generate with you hand trying to squeeze close the Channel Locks or normal pliers you were using.

And DON'T try to take the chrome extension pipe coming out of the wall out. If you can't see the connection behind the wall and how it is secured, you don't want to to start cranking away on the pipe because you can break something behind the wall and need to rip the wall out and replumb it back there.
adpanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #12
Stuck in the 70's

A have a couple scrap pieces of rubber shelf liner I use in situations like this. It not only protects the finish, it gives a wonderful grip on all of the surfaces.

I know all you macho guys don't need this tip- but I keep a couple six inch squares handy to open stubborn jars.

Last edited by Blondesense; 11-14-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to Kozzy49

I agree with the other replies, pliers are just not meant to do this job. The base fitting will unscrew counter clock wise (turn left), use a pair of pipe wrenches. if this fitting is really seized there are a couple of options to help loosen the fitting;

- apply some heat with a heat gun or propane torch to the shower head fitting, cover chrome pipe from the wall with a wet cloth to keep it cold, be careful to not point the flame at the wall or ceiling, you do not want to burn down your house. Only apply heat to the thread area of the shower fitting, not to the pipe.

This will cause the fitting to expand and soften any sealer that may have hardened. Remove wet rag and using two pipe wrenches rotate base fitting counter clockwise while supporting the chrome pipe with the other pipe wrench. Once the fitting is turning freely, use a wet rag to cool the fitting down so that you can run it off by hand (you do not want to drop a hot fitting into your plastic tub...

If there is insufficient room to safely apply heat, you can also use a dremel to cut a slot along the base fitting side, be careful not to go all the way through and damage the threads. If you put two or three slots along the fitting lengthwise this will relieve the pressure the fitting is exerting on the thread and make it easier to turn.

Kozzy49 is offline   Reply With Quote