Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2006, 01:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Old Genie Garage Door Opener

I've got two 12' solid wood garage doors, each with an old (early 80's) Genie overhead opener. Both doors are somewhat warped and water damaged but have been working ok until one got hung up on a 2x4 that was jutting out from the top of a stack of boxes that I had stacked at what I thought was a safe distance from door, hardware, and overhead track. It was apparent on the first try one night that an obstacle was preventing the door from closing beyond the first 1/3 distance down. It was dark, rain storming, cold, I was in a hurry, so I stupidly gave the door two more tries before I turned on the lights to have a look. The 2x4 was rammed into the center wall of the door and one of the main metal arms attched to the side door jam was literally bent nearly 45 degrees. I unbolted the bent arm in order to get the door closed and waited for better weather. Long story short, parts straightened, door jam repaired, etc., the door will go up and down manually, but won't open past the halfway mark with the opener. I've inspected what I can see, no missing bolts, door is hung evenly, nothing seems broken, probably needs oil, and I can't figure out what's stopping the door from completely opening. The sensor is working when closing (put a test obstacle on the floor), no debris in the track. I'm at a loss. Any ideas what the problem could be (other than me, of course). Thanks. CMG

cmgith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:39 AM   #2
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Will the opener cycle without the door? Try this and see if you detect a problem. You could have the door hanging up as the opener lifts, but first see if it will function without the door.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Hi Joasis,
Yes, the opener cycles without the door. The door isn't binding. We can lift the door completely open without the Genie because of the spring assist. Still can't get the opener to open the door beyond the halfway point. Happy Thanksgiving, by the way.
cmgith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:53 PM   #4
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Something has changed somewhere...and I can't guess beyond telling you what I would do, which is examine and check every fitting point til you see if one is out of allignment or sprung, causing a twist as the door opens, or a shift.....in other words, play detective til you find it.
joasis is offline   Reply With Quote