Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2009, 08:41 AM   #1
Alpha Geek Studios

Rewards Points: 0
Send a message via AIM to alphageekstudio
Share |

old ceilings.. New Laminant?

First time user here.. and to be honest.. not sure Im in the right place.. but here goes, the ceilings in my new studio are.... horrible... there is a hole in my lobby, where the drywall fell in the middle of the room, appox a foot in diameter...

what i was wondering, as long winded as i am... if i could put up laminant planks over it... http://www.armstrong.com/resclgam/na...itemId=44895.0

to be exact.

could i just put it over the drywall... after all i am just leasing the place.

alphageekstudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Assuming the ceiling isn't warped, coming loose or otherwise failing, you can glue the new material over the drywall. Just make sure it is clean so the glue adheres. Is it alright with your landlord to do this?

You do need to address what caused the drywall fail and resolve whatever it was before you put up any new ceiling. Is there a leaking pipe above it or something? If it is just 12" or so why not just cut and tape in a drywall patch? This would be a lot cheaper.

Last edited by user1007; 10-18-2009 at 09:33 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
Alpha Geek Studios

yes the landlord has cleared the project.. and the water leak from above has been fixed... but as you mentioned.. there is a bit of a curve towards the hole.. that goes all the way across the lobby... it may only be a half inch differance from one wall to the other but it is there...and a patch would be brilliant... if the rest of the ceiling wasnt rubbish. cracks and what not.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #4
Alpha Geek Studios

to be honest. the ceiling needs to come down and a new one be put in its place... but i cant get the landlord to cut a bush outside... not to mention replace a ceiling.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphageekstudio View Post
yes the landlord has cleared the project.. and the water leak from above has been fixed... but as you mentioned.. there is a bit of a curve towards the hole.. that goes all the way across the lobby... it may only be a half inch differance from one wall to the other but it is there...and a patch would be brilliant... if the rest of the ceiling wasnt rubbish. cracks and what not.
With that severe a bow you may have trouble gluing the new material to what is there. Sounds like you might be wasting your money on the material you had in mind. Nu wall is a system I recommended for another application on this site that I use a lot and it is great for covering over cracks and so forth if the ceiling is structurally alright. You would still have to patch in at least that 12" hole (more if you cannot pull the sheetrock up where it starts to bow) though and it will not fix the bowing. It would be cheaper than the material you had in mind or a new ceiling though.

http://www.spec-chem.com/nuwal/index.htm

And by the way, if it has lots of cracks? Are they straight along taped seams or something? Are you sure it is a drywall ceiling and not lathe and plaster?

Last edited by user1007; 10-18-2009 at 12:24 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
Alpha Geek Studios

thanks for all the input.. i will give it a whirl..

Tags
ceilings, drywall, laminant