Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-31-2012, 01:24 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Old Air Compressor Sparking

Hi, I've got an old 220v 3hp 30 gallon compressor (PPH-30-110 Puma) about 25 years old. Bought it new, and has been working strong and used almost
daily.

The motor is sparking from what I think is called the "Centrifugal start switch". The contacts are gone. Any help on getting a replacement part or number?

I've got the manual here it's only got the air compressor break down, not the motor breakdown. Any help? I've looked and emailed puma with no response as of yet. It's a little 3x3 orthogonal thing. I can post a pic if needed, no part number on it I can see.

Thanks (I hope) -Tommy

trs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trs71 View Post
Hi, I've got an old 220v 3hp 30 gallon compressor (PPH-30-110 Puma) about 25 years old. Bought it new, and has been working strong and used almost
daily.

The motor is sparking from what I think is called the "Centrifugal start switch". The contacts are gone. Any help on getting a replacement part or number?

I've got the manual here it's only got the air compressor break down, not the motor breakdown. Any help? I've looked and emailed puma with no response as of yet. It's a little 3x3 orthogonal thing. I can post a pic if needed, no part number on it I can see.

Thanks (I hope) -Tommy
My guess would be to seek out a motor repair shop.

BTW I just had to look up Orthogonal...
a : intersecting or lying at right angles
b : having perpendicular slopes or tangents at the point of intersection <orthogonal curves>
: having a sum of products or an integral that is zero or sometimes one under specified conditions: as
a of real-valued functions : having the integral of the product of each pair of functions over a specific interval equal to zero
b of vectors : having the scalar product equal to zero
c of a square matrix : having the sum of products of corresponding elements in any two rows or any two columns equal to one if the rows or columns are the same and equal to zero otherwise : having a transpose with which the product equals the identity matrix

danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:13 PM   #3

Pics of part.

Last edited by trs71; 12-31-2012 at 04:17 PM. Reason: bad link
Old 12-31-2012, 04:15 PM   #4

Stooopid spell check- orthogonal was supposed to be octagonal....ish.
The Following User Says Thank You to trs71 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-31-2012)
Old 01-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
Guywithskills

Elect motors are relatively cheap now. I would not fix that old one... Likely other parts ready to fail. Go Grainger (a little pricey and still China built) or Harbor Freight cheap China built, ot Northern tool, med price China built. Just get a compressor rated motor. Also Remember to change oil in compressor unit, synthetic is best and doesn't take much.
Guywithskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #6
gravity always wins

Almost no cmpressor companies build their own motors. The majority use a variety of motors depending on who the supplier was for that particular production run. Could be GE, Westinghouse, Magnetek, yadda, yadda. Check for a data plate on the motor. It could get pricey to replace a 5-6 HP motor or greater for the sake of a $20.00 start switch.
Maintenance 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
custom user

Why can't you just have someone weld up the contacts and dress them up?
JasperST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
Household Handyman

I have not seen one of those in years. They were available at a locally owned motor repair shop years ago, but who knows now? As far as "you just have someone weld up the contacts and dress them up?" It just doesn't work that way: Those contacts are copper covered with a silver plating. The copper makes a good conductor and the silver helps prevent "spark splatter". Try finding a local motor repair shop and ask if they have one or can get the centrifugal switch. The centrifugal switch keeps the power within the start capacitor to the motor until the motor reaches a certain speed, then the switch takes the capacitor out of the circuit.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thurman For This Useful Post:
DexterII (01-08-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #9

Interesting that you mentioned that Thurman, because the first thing that I thought was that Grainger has those, but decided that I would take a quick look first, and darned if they only have one particular one listed. I remember when it was fairly common to change them, but like you said, and after thinking about it, I haven't even looked at one in a long time. I wonder if maybe the supplied voltage is that much more stable now, or what might have changed. Anyway, trs, motor shops aren't as common as they used to be either, but you should be able find one someplace, and they will fix you up.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #10

I can't find one locally, Torq.com has a replacement part S-6013 ($25-shipped). I ordered it and it is a different shape, but close. I have to modify it some, and I am not sure if it will work. I'll let you know if I get her going. I'm thinking maybe I should have just got a harbor freight motor...

http://www.torq.com/pdffiles/station...-arm-other.pdf

ps I guess it's called a "stationary switch"