Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2008, 08:37 AM   #1

Share |

Okay, now for my countertop....

I'm trying to attach the edging for my countertop to the edge of my counter. The last time I did this I used contact cement to afix them together and then my boyfriend routered the edge. The boyfriend, and thusly the router, are gone. So I went into where I bought the counter and the guy said to use "snippers" to cut it down and then file it on a 45 degree angle with a file. I don't have snippers. I have an exacto knife, I have wire cutters. The edging is about 1/4" too wide for the edge, plus I need to make the D shape at the end.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Karen

karen66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
Licensed Contractor

Get a new boyfriend?
Sorry, you knew that was coming at some point.
Honestly, trimming formica without a router or laminate trimmer can best be described as tedious, and at worst, disaster.
You need to rent either router or lam. trimmer, buy a bearing bit, glue the plam to the end (use a solvent-based contact cement, and don't forget to roll it out), and run the router over the edge. Done in 2-3 minutes with none of the mess, sweat, and otherwise taking the Lord's name in vain
Good luck, not only with the counter, but the whole relationship thing.

Renovator,LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:06 PM   #3

Enjoyable!

I'm working on the whole 'boyfriend thing'..... by the way, what's your status?

[You knew that was coming too ]

K.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:07 PM   #4

Laminate is too brittle and generally delicate to trim the edges with anything other than a router or laminate trimmer (mini router). There just isn't a way to do it and make it look good other than that.

A laminate trimmer is about $100, but I am sure you could rent one. You'll need a flush trim bearing bit with it. It is a piece of cake...Don't be intimidated by it.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:21 PM   #5

Well I happen to have a free tool rental coupon. And I hate being intimidated by things - which I am - so this is probably the universe providing me with the opportunity to learn a new tool.

Sweet. Besides, I have enough counter left over that if I mess it up I can try again.

Thanks for the info and encouragement.

Karen
Old 07-12-2008, 04:13 PM   #6
Licensed Contractor

Lol. 26 wonderful years and counting, but thank you.
Putting on the end caps really is a straightforward procedure. Brush the contact cement evenly on both surfaces, allow to dry (it will be tacky, but your finger should not stick to it. You will notice a haze develope as it dries.)
Place the endcap on the counter, and press it on. J-rollers are used for this purpose, but even an iron (off) will help.
Once the endcap is on, run your router/trimmer around the edge (router base is on the new endcap, bearing on the counter.) Try to keep the router as perpendicular to the endcap as possible to prevent the bit from scoring/gouging/doing a number on the countertop formica. Depending on the amount of adhesive used, you might have to stop part way thru and clean the bearing.
If they give you a choice between 1/4" and 1/2" collets on the routers, all you need is the 1/4, as the bit you will use has a 1/4" shank. If they rent you a router with a 1/2" collet, be sure they include the 1/4" collet as well.
Good luck, have fun, and be careful. Router bits don't know the difference between formica and muscle, tendons, bones, etc. Keep your fingers intact for the more pleasant things in life.

Renovator,LLC is offline   Reply With Quote