Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2010, 02:25 PM   #1

Share |

oil spot removal from concrete driveway

as the title says looking for that magic old method for attempting to remove oil spots from a concrete driveway (porous rough finish) I know its next to impossible but thought id ask anyways spots are both new and old.
Thanks...

kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:01 AM   #2

bump,NOONE?? no ideas

Old 05-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #3

bump again
Old 05-02-2010, 06:18 AM   #4
Household Handyman

O.K., I'll try--Fairly decent oil stain removal products can be obtained at auto parts stores. OR--if you have a business which supplies swimming pool maintenance supplies locally, they have products which will do this. Who wants those grease, wine, etc., stains on their concrete pool deck? Personally, I don't like using Muriatic Acid as some will suggest, it bleaches out the concrete too much IMO. My favorite is a powdered material which could be found at those good "old fashioned" service stations. This is a yellow-ish colored, dry material which is placed on the stain, dampened and let it sit there and sort of pull out the oil stain, sorry I cannot remember the name. As stated-there are some decent products at local auto parts stores. I would check at an auto parts store which is locally owned rather than the big boy name brands. These guys know the business and don't just sell parts out of a computer. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thurman For This Useful Post:
kennzz05 (05-02-2010)
Old 05-02-2010, 10:24 AM   #5

thanks for the reply
Old 05-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

There is also a good one at Lowe's, mixed in close with the painting supplies, sorry can't remember the name, but it says concrete cleaner on the can. It is a liquid that you pour on and let sit a couple hours to dry and it works well.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

OK this is not what Lowe's carries but it will work

http://www.pour-n-restore.com/
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:31 PM   #8

I have removed many spots or large areas that are new or a few days old by spreading gasoline and working with a stiff brush or old broom and immediately applying "oil dry" or "kitty litter". Just use CAUTION with gasoline and don't use it where a source of ignition may be present. Other thin solvents may work just as good.
The method idea is to thin the oil and soak up the gasoline and oil as soon as possible. On some spills I have had to do this several times and must admit that the stain is sometimes still visible.
Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:32 PM   #9

Mineral spirits and dish detergent or if you can find it, there's a product called "Oil Off" but I don't have a link. I'm about to pick some up from my local Interlock/Paver supplier and will let you know how it works.

If its a big, fresh stain, the first thing to do is kitty litter as suggested and then the other products.
MooF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #10

Update to my own post, 'Oil Off' works very well! It took about two applications and you need to let it sit & scrub as per the directions, but it works and the oil spots are nearly completely gone.

MooF is offline   Reply With Quote