Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2006, 01:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Oil Furnance Smoke

I noticed smoke coming from my chimney when I drove up to my house. It was greyish in color. I never noticed this before. I have an oil-based unit. Could this indicate something might be wrong?

Last edited by jerome8283; 12-02-2006 at 01:18 PM.
jerome8283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
World famous jerk.

Oil Furnance Smoke

When was the last time your furnace was cleaned and tuned up? This is an annual maintenance thing that is supposed to be done on an oil furnace, and there's no way around it. They will change the filter and nozzle, clean the furnace, clean and adjust the electrodes, check the condition of the flame retention ring, and perform a Bacharrach test. This test will allow the technician to adjust the field (draft) control, air shutter, and get that smoking problem under control. Part of that test is to "pull a smoke", which involves pulling a smoke sample to compare to a chart.

What you've observed is simple lack of maintenance, and having your unit serviced will square that away. If left go in this condidtion, it will get much worse. The final straw is when your unit has a "puff back", and it will spew loads of black greasy soot all over every square inch of your home. You don't want that. Just get an appointment from your furnace man. The annual PM of an oil burner is not expensive. The other option (doing nothing) is very expensive.

Last edited by mdshunk; 12-02-2006 at 03:56 PM. Reason: spelling
mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:24 PM   #3

Oil Furnance Smoke

Thanks. I made an appointment. They will be here Tuesday. They did come last year for another reason but now that I think about it, they never serviced the unit as you mentioned. The last time I recall service was done was the year before.

Thanks again!
Old 12-05-2006, 10:17 AM   #4

Oil Furnance Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshunk View Post
When was the last time your furnace was cleaned and tuned up? This is an annual maintenance thing that is supposed to be done on an oil furnace, and there's no way around it. They will change the filter and nozzle, clean the furnace, clean and adjust the electrodes, check the condition of the flame retention ring, and perform a Bacharrach test. This test will allow the technician to adjust the field (draft) control, air shutter, and get that smoking problem under control. Part of that test is to "pull a smoke", which involves pulling a smoke sample to compare to a chart.

What you've observed is simple lack of maintenance, and having your unit serviced will square that away. If left go in this condidtion, it will get much worse. The final straw is when your unit has a "puff back", and it will spew loads of black greasy soot all over every square inch of your home. You don't want that. Just get an appointment from your furnace man. The annual PM of an oil burner is not expensive. The other option (doing nothing) is very expensive.
They changed filters, clean the furnace, clean and adjust the electrodes, check the flame which they said was not right due to invalid airflow which was probably caused by me doing wood work in my garage where the furnace is. The tech pointed out where holes were clogged probably due to saw dust. They also changed a couple of valves and put some sort of air release valve on. The unit even runs quieter now.

Thanks