Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Oh! 1st home! Closing in two weeks! 30 Pics!

Hey guys, So I thought I'd share the home Im closing on the 15th of April this month.

lol, So I'm in the process of buying a home. Being 22 it's my first.

So I was suppose to close on the house today, But were extending the closing date two weeks.

Story:
I lost a house when I offered asking price on another a couple of months ago.

Well I found the current home and put in an offer. It's a Foreclosure. I received a form from Fannie mae stating Im not the only bidder etc... blah blah blah.

So, House listed for 200k, Dropped every few months and then went into foreclosure at 89,999. I had to ask for seller to pay closing cost so cost might as well of been 95k. I wanted the house enough I offered
99k because I had already Lost one house and I offered asking price. So I wasn't going to lose this one because I see it as worth it.

So, I get the inspections done, Everything looks pretty good. Whats expected for a home built in 1938.

Last owner bought it in 2005 for 165k and put about 60k into it.

So Since it's my first home, I'm going through a first time Home buyer program which after I took a class, My Down Payment up to 3,000 was paid for. Thanks guys.
So the last inspection, The Appraiser shows up. (I wasn't there) and check it out.
HOWEVER, The loan will not be approved until the work he says has to be done, is done. Which is....
1. Strip, and repaint the flaking paint on the extr of home windows/trim due to lead paint from 38. The last owner replaced half the windows among other things for 60k.
So they bidded out the job and the lowest bid came in a 3,300. So they are fixing that before I close on the house.

So you guys know, first time home buyers program is like most, the House almost has to be perfect to get it approved.
I'm talking, If outlet covers are missing on outlets the appraiser will deny until fixed...

So, thats the deal right now. I'm waiting for seller to fix the issue,

So, Heres the details.

7/10 of Acre. Downtown, Historical District, Columbia tn. I'm employed by the city as a firefighter so perfect location 1 mile from work. (I'll bicycle back and forth, thats the plan anyways to save the Audi)
2 Car Port
MAIN FLOOR 2,600 sq ft
2 Fireplaces
Original Refinished Hardwood throughout
10ft High Ceilings
3 Bed, 2 full Bath
2 living rooms, two dining rooms. (remember formal and non formal back in the day)
Kitchen, Granite counter tops
1 Laundry room, Granite Counter tops with Granite window sill slab
Unfinished Attic (maybe 400sq ft?)
Unfinished basement size of main floor. (So another 2600sq ft that I wont ever finish. But it's a nice shop area etc...)

Pics.

Front of home, Driveway/carport on right. Front door is the one under the Red Cover. Door on right is door for small office and living room #2 (See below)

Some of the Detail in the Trim, Note the flaking paint talked about above from appraiser. Also see new shingle roof.

Carport

Main Living room from front door. (Red room is Main Dinning room, then into kitchen)

Another shot of Main living, Arched door way is leading to front door, which is also Custom Built Arched.

Main Dinning Room.

Last edited by Firefighter3244; 04-05-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Firefighter3244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #2

Kitchen, It's small. I'd like to open up the left wall and extend the kitchen out a lil bit while putting an island or bar a couple feet out past left wall. Down the road.

Closeup of granite

Bath#1, Shower is behind door, and toilet is on far wall to right. Next to shower.

Bath #2, The nicer, Larger one.

Halway containing Bath#2, Basement door and two bed rooms at end. 2nd door on left doing to other halways and upstairs attic

Dinning room #2 (is what im calling it)
Arched doorway leads to red dining room. Blue room to right is laundry room, middle door goes to halway with bath #2, basement door and two rooms at end of halway.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:04 PM   #3

2nd living room. Would make an awesome Master bed, But
It will become my In house Photography Studio. It has a small room off to the left which has a door to the outside. Perfect for clients to not enter rest of home. (I want to further my photography business on the side)

The Small room off of 2nd living room with door to extr. Looks like they put up a temp deviding wall... perfect for changing room...

Part of the Laundry room, Wood floors Painted two layers and sanded down for Washed out look. I like it, And I will keep it. I'll repaint walls a different blue though, It also has Blue Granite tops.
While they kept and cleaned up the old sink, it's been updated with new plumbing etc.... The last owners did a good job to keep the things that had character.

Bedroom#1 (Non have an attached bath... Ugh maybe add one in future?

Bedroom #2
Old 04-05-2011, 01:04 PM   #4

Bedroom #3

And, About a third of the basement.

Yup! Hoping all goes well and I close in two weeks!
Old 04-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
fabrk8r

Neat house. Looks well taken care of/restored.

I didn't see any mention of the heating/cooling system, other than a pic of the basement with the old (I'm assuming) disconnected boiler. I see hot air pipes in the basement coming from behind the newer block wall. I noticed in most of the picts of the rooms I can see where there were cast iron radiators at one time. How new is the HVAC system? have you looked at utility bills for previous years?

Have fun with your new home!
Old 04-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #6

Hey, Thanks! and Yeah, they kept some radiators for decor. The orig boiler is there too for decor but I'll be removing it all and idk maybe clean up the boiler and sell it at an antic shop.

It has Gas Heating, And A/C units. Gas units are newer and the A/C unit prolly within 12yrs? Im guessing.
Avg electric over last 15 months was $115. Not sure about gas, But Before winter I'll be installing newer EPA Wood burning inserts or a wood burning stove in the basement to heat the home.
With Seasoned Firewood Free around here, It makes sense to heat my home for free and save the $300+ monthly. I'm no stranger ti wood heat so no concerns there.

I'll of course start a new thread once I get it. And I'm hoping the thread will stay active and busy as I have lots of plans for this house. I rly hope I can turn it into a show piece!
Old 04-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #7

Congratulations! Looks like a nice first house. How many rooms in that thing?

Like the curved wood front door. Lots of millwork details throughout that you just won't get in a house today without paying through the nose.

I say some of their interior decorating is suspect (is that faux marble painted wood trim I see in they yellow room?) but the grass wallpaper (so it looks like) and the dark wood french doors is pretty nice. They just couldn't decide on one or two favoriate colors could they? One of my past houses was like that.

Really odd the appraiser and home inspector are requiring the exterior repaint, even with it being lead based. Especially on a foreclosure! I'd bet there is some sort of shady something going on behind the scenes with that one.
BMS98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
Wire Chewer

Wow that's a nice house! You must be excited. I know I was when I bought my first house a year or two ago (time flies, I lost track), so I still remember the feeling.

That carport is really nice too, lot of room to work if you decide to use it for other stuff. Overall looks like a really well built house.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #9

Wow!! Beautiful home and well done for someone so young. I can hardly believe you get all that for under 100k. In Toronto , in an average neighbourhood, a house like that will sell for over 600,000 Congrats
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #10

Agreed, that is a lot of house for the money. I love that old laundry sink. You are not too far from Nashville. That is on top of my must visit list. And my wife wants to go to Memphis in May- the big barbecue cookoff one of these days.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #11

Thats a sweet deal! If there are anymore like that around let me know and I'll retire there.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #12

BMS, Its a First time Home buyer program in TN, THDA. The last Inspection is done by the appraiser, Who Appraises the home and checks it over to make sure it is up to the programs standards.

So you know, The program is strict. They will not allow a sold to be made if even the outlet covers on outlets are missing. I'm not joking, It's strict. It's also partly reason why the housing market is
the way it is. My realtor said you'd be amazed how many homes go unsold and sit to rot due to a few hundred or a thousand dollars being invested in the property for small details.

Thanks, I rly like the Laundry room sink too. As with other things they left the character but updated it with new piping/fittings etc....
Old 04-06-2011, 07:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter3244 View Post
Hey, Thanks! and Yeah, they kept some radiators for decor. The orig boiler is there too for decor but I'll be removing it all and idk maybe clean up the boiler and sell it at an antic shop.

It has Gas Heating, And A/C units. Gas units are newer and the A/C unit prolly within 12yrs? Im guessing.
Avg electric over last 15 months was $115. Not sure about gas, But Before winter I'll be installing newer EPA Wood burning inserts or a wood burning stove in the basement to heat the home.
With Seasoned Firewood Free around here, It makes sense to heat my home for free and save the $300+ monthly. I'm no stranger ti wood heat so no concerns there.

I'll of course start a new thread once I get it. And I'm hoping the thread will stay active and busy as I have lots of plans for this house. I rly hope I can turn it into a show piece!
The boiler might be incased in asbestos under the metal jacket so take it easy on the dismantling. It looks like the pipes were cleaned of the asbestos wrap. Check the fittings for residue.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:45 AM   #14
old guy contractor

What a great house Firefighter.........except for some of the wall colors.

That's just colors and paint.....easy stuff.
The details throughout the place are great.
The old woodwork & built-ins are fabulous.
You don't see that in newer homes these days.

Congrats
I'm sure we'll see you around here when it comes time to maintain and honey-do your new palace.
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #15
Coconut Pete's paella!

Congrats!!

I love the house. I'm a fan of everything except that red awning above the front door and then ..ahh .. some of those wall colors haha.

CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote