'Off' Topic Venting - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

'Off' topic venting

Why is it that on forums when you ask a particular question about a particular subject most everyone ends up having to tell you about how you should change your flooring/oven/backsplash/heating/cooling/lighting etc?
Or tell you to install heating/cooling/tiles/island bench/lighting etc? Oh and while you are at it you might as well rip out the ......... as well and install a new ......... which will be much better!

Why can't people just answer the b****y question that was asked in the first place and keep their opinions about the other stuff to themselves???

What if I like my kitchen/bathroom/living/flooring etc the way it is?
What if I have just had it installed? And paid lots of money?
Telling me to change it and do this or that is insulting!

Stick to answering the question asked in the OP's thread please.
At least then the thread might stay 'on topic'

And yes I expect I will get some flack over this post but really it is so true and happens so often.
And I bet I'm not the only one that feels this way

Advertisement

Wandererone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wandererone For This Useful Post:
jomama45 (06-03-2013), kwikfishron (06-03-2013), sublime2 (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,206

'Off' topic venting

You are right--this happens frequently----

I usually chuckle when that happens---it usually means the responder hasn't read the entire post and wants to use the 'I/ME/MY/MINE ' option.

It's the internet----

Rant away----

Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,520

'Off' topic venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandererone View Post
Why is it that on forums when you ask a particular question about a particular subject most everyone ends up having to tell you about how you should change your.................:
I agree and it can be quite irritating at times. I can't say I've never done that before but I try not to.

The advice you get from this forum is "free" (or is it).
Old 06-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

'Off' topic venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandererone View Post
Why is it that on forums when you ask a particular question about a particular subject most everyone ends up having to tell you about how you should change your flooring/oven/backsplash/heating/cooling/lighting etc?
Or tell you to install heating/cooling/tiles/island bench/lighting etc? Oh and while you are at it you might as well rip out the ......... as well and install a new ......... which will be much better!

Why can't people just answer the b****y question that was asked in the first place and keep their opinions about the other stuff to themselves???

What if I like my kitchen/bathroom/living/flooring etc the way it is?
What if I have just had it installed? And paid lots of money?
Telling me to change it and do this or that is insulting!

Stick to answering the question asked in the OP's thread please.
At least then the thread might stay 'on topic'

And yes I expect I will get some flack over this post but really it is so true and happens so often.
And I bet I'm not the only one that feels this way
Ya man I know how you feel, but you really should take down that backsplash, its just outdated
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,206

'Off' topic venting

One of the reasons for what you're ranting about is that many people ask about how to do something without understanding it is impractical, illegal, would never work, violates code, or that additional work they have not thought about would be required. Changing from a tub to a shower requires a larger drain pipe; they don't think of that. Putting in a basement bedroom requires an egress window; they don't think of that. And anything electrical is usually much worse.

If I was going to rant, it would be about people who already have their mind made up what the want and how they'll do it, ignoring sage, professional advice that they are essentially clueless. I often wonder how many of these folks end up killing themselves or burning down their house.

Last edited by md2lgyk; 06-03-2013 at 08:18 AM.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
Nailbags (06-03-2013), oh'mike (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,668

'Off' topic venting

A lot of times by doing 1 thing it affects something else that will need addressed. Sometimes it is a matter of if you ever want to change this now is the time while you already have this much done. And sometimes the thread just gets hi-jacked. One thing about a forum like this is there are people from all over the world on here and the way things are done where I live may not be the same as where you or other people live. And there are a lot of different personalities on here also and these factors sometimes lead to some pretty lively discussions on the way things are done and what is used to do them.
As a for instance someone on here did some drywall work and sent a pic, he had made a mistake in hanging the drywall by making a joint right at the corner of a window. Obviously he is probably not going to rip out his drywall and start over but I commented on it because someone else may be starting a job and didn't know this is something you should avoid. I don't think you will catch much flack over this post as what your saying is true in a lot of cases and this is how we improve.

Last edited by ToolSeeker; 06-03-2013 at 08:56 AM.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,142

'Off' topic venting

This bothers me a lot as well. My best guess is that the folks responding have no actual knowledge on the particular topic, yet they can't resist hitting the "Post Reply" button. I've found the best way to handle the frustration is to simply ignore it...........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

'Off' topic venting

Ask questions without enough detail and people will fill in the blanks.

Otherwise if only a very narrow question is asked, without any other factors, the answer might end up being entirely wrong for the goals you DIDN'T EXPLAIN.

Now they can fill in the blanks on personality too.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wkearney99 For This Useful Post:
ccarlisle (06-03-2013), Willie T (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
Bill Kearney

'Off' topic venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
Ya man I know how you feel, but you really should take down that backsplash, its just outdated
Heh, +1 on the hijack.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

'Off' topic venting

That is the attitude here, very condescending. Lots of grumpy old farts here who want to change your plans (and not for valid engineering/feasibility/whatever reasons). A bunch of people who jump to say not enough information, though that does happen a lot, but when you include all the relevant information they will not read your first post because it's "too long" or "takes too much time". Though they have enough time to post a reply asking for the exact info you gave in the original post or added clarification to in a later post. The end result is typically a generic response to hire the job out, or some condescending remark.

Basically, don't sweat the xxxx and there's a lot of good information here.

Last edited by TheEplumber; 06-03-2013 at 10:50 AM. Reason: removed objectionable comment
Dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
Bill Kearney

'Off' topic venting

What's better, steer someone around pending disasters or just help them row right over the proverbial waterfall's edge? It's a lot harder to do either when there's not enough detail in the questions. And when they cop an attitude there's even less desire to help.

But, yes, thankfully there are a lot of good conversations here in many different threads. Most of which based on people posting useful details and being willing to go back and forth on the questions.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #12
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

'Off' topic venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunk View Post
That is the attitude here, very condescending. Lots of grumpy old farts here who want to change your plans (and not for valid engineering/feasibility/whatever reasons). A bunch of people who jump to say not enough information, though that does happen a lot, but when you include all the relevant information they will not read your first post because it's "too long" or "takes too much time". Though they have enough time to post a reply asking for the exact info you gave in the original post or added clarification to in a later post. The end result is typically a generic response to hire the job out, or some condescending remark.

Basically, don't sweat the xxxxx and there's a lot of good information here.
Ever hear the phrase "You learn by your mistakes"? Well, that is one of the reasons all these "grumpy old fart xxxxx" know so much. They've made those mistakes so you don't have to. Ya know Dunk....this is a free country...you don't have to put up with it...your more than welcome to go to other DIY sites for solutions to your problems.

Wk...I guess your specifically complaining about us (me) suggesting that you don't build a wall around that kitchen and instead put in an island and maybe breakfast bar.

Sorry I didn't preface it with "No, vents in the wall won't give you enough air, so instead of doing that, why not do this"? My bad.

Yea...there might be a few 'xxxxx' here....it's hard to stay nice all the time when people come here for free advice, don't like what they hear and then complain. Must be part of that 'entitlement' mentality.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link

Last edited by TheEplumber; 06-03-2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: removed objectionable comment
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
rossfingal (06-03-2013), ThatDaveGuy (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 626

'Off' topic venting

I have to agree with the posts yes people do tend to go "well if it were me I would do..." there is a reason for that most of us have been there done that and have the headache to show for it. What rubs me raw is when you give sound advice and the reason behind it and the OP poo paws it and then comes back and asks how to fix it. or the one how much will this cost me to do in materials and labor? I get a bit snippety with those. That is some thing any one can figure out on their own with a trip to the lumber yard and a few phone calls to local contractors. OK my Gripe is over.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nailbags For This Useful Post:
ddawg16 (06-03-2013), oh'mike (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #14
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

'Off' topic venting

I, for one, detest standard "boxes". And too many of us just will not (or cannot) think outside them.

I absolutely love it when other people throw out ideas not in play yet. I have actually changed entire layouts because of a suggestion made on here.

Despite what many of us may choose to believe, we are usually not as brilliant as we think we are, and there is often enough information out there that other people can offer to build a whole universe we may not even be able to fathom.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
ddawg16 (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #15
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

'Off' topic venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
I, for one, detest standard "boxes". And too many of us just will not (or cannot) think outside them.

I absolutely love it when other people throw out ideas not in play yet. I have actually changed entire layouts because of a suggestion made on here.

Despite what many of us may choose to believe, we are usually not as brilliant as we think we are, and there is often enough information out there that other people can offer to build a whole universe we may not even be able to fathom.
Now, THAT is a comment from someone who has made a few mistakes.....and is now so much smarter for it....

Now....If I could stop making the same mistakes....I just might wise up...

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote