Odd EMail - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2011, 08:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Odd eMail

Is there a safe way to view a questionable eMail?
It is my understanding that when you open a piece of mail, you don't have a problem. It's when you click on a link within the mail that can cause problems.
I always just delete the mail.

Advertisement

Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Odd eMail

Yeah, generally opening the mail won't do anything. But if there is a questionable link don't click it. If you have up to date anitvirus and anti-spyware software there shouldn't be too many worries.

Advertisement

housegsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Odd eMail

That's the way I think about it, too. If there is an attachment on it, that would be where the danger is, or a link in the email. But, I don't know 100% with new processes that might be coming along.
I have Yahoo email (for one) and this scans attachments and downloads if you click on them. Also, I have Avast anti virus (free) which supposedly runs in the background and pops up a warning if I try and open anything not good. You could also right click on the attachment (AFTER opening the email) and "save as", save it somewhere and virus scan it.
But, like you, I always think it's clicking on or downloading something that would do it (if it's not good)
Maybe someone else knows more about it for sure.
starchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Odd eMail

I don't get many questionable mails but this morning I received a mail titled "Malwarebytes" It had my first name and then stated "New Malware threats Released.
I have Malwarebytes and use it regularly after updating each time. As far as I know, I never gave them my name
Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Odd eMail

They may have seen your name from your email settings. I have a junk Yahoo account that I use and somewhere in the profile setting you can choose to put something other than your name that is displayed when recipients get your mail.

Either way, just go into your Malwarebytes and update it manually if you'd like, no need to do anything through the email.
housegsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Odd eMail

I would not open that mail, if you are getting regular updates there is no need for that mail other than a malicious virus. I am no expert but that sure sounds like it to me.

Mark
Old 02-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #7

Odd eMail

Not quite the same, but I have clicked on a webite (from Google) and when the page opens a box pops up saying it's Windows and checking my computer for viruses, and starts to scan. Since I don't have anything like that and didn't start it, I know (and know now) it's a virus from the webpage. I didn't click anything on it, just openned the webpage. Which seemed legit and okay when I clicked it.
Having experienced this, when it occasionally happens, I think clicking the X makes it worse, I hit ctrl-alt-delete and bring up the tast manager, and end that program that way.
Than virus scan.
If you let it scan, it says it finds hundreds of bad viruses and you have to buy it to get them out. Of course, it just wants you credit/debit card info.
My daughter did this (she didn't but it but let it scan, clicked OKAY to, she thought it was for real) and it messed up her computer so bad she has to have Windows reinstalled in it now.
One can only how there is such a thing as KARMA so people who do this stuff will get negative back in some way, time and form.
starchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,518

Odd eMail

ALT-F4 is good window closer as well as the CTL-ALT-DEL and sometimes faster. It closes the current window instantly. So does pulling the plug.
starchild (02-08-2011)
Old 02-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #9

Odd eMail

I'm suspicious of any email that doesn't come from someone I know personally, even the companies I've done business with or newsletters I've subscribed to. I've recently learned that when you want to stop receiving email from a mailing list, clicking the "unsubscribe" link just confirms that you got the email and you could be sent even more from them and third parties. It's better to delete it or indicate that it's "junk". I wouldn't click on any links you're suspicious of, and just do the manual updates.

Granite Austin TX

Last edited by MsMatthews; 02-09-2011 at 11:23 PM.
MsMatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #10
nap
You talking to me?

Odd eMail

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
ALT-F4 is good window closer as well as the CTL-ALT-DEL and sometimes faster. It closes the current window instantly. So does pulling the plug.
that is why I have my modem in arms reach. Something funky happening...yank the ethernet cable.

speaking of; has anybody ever heard of a switch that one could feed their internet through where you could just flip the switch instead of pulling the plug?

Quote:
Giles I don't get many questionable mails but this morning I received a mail titled "Malwarebytes" It had my first name and then stated "New Malware threats Released.
I have Malwarebytes and use it regularly after updating each time. As far as I know, I never gave them my name
If in doubt, delete it. Then you can check for updates manually.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:40 AM   #11

Odd eMail

Quote:
Originally Posted by housegsx View Post
Yeah, generally opening the mail won't do anything. But if there is a questionable link don't click it. If you have up to date anitvirus and anti-spyware software there shouldn't be too many worries.
Anti viral software is a response to a specific strain. When it's discovered, the companies respond by reacting to it. There are constantly new virus's that are being produced that you are not protected from with your programs.
Proceed cautiously on the Web.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #12
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,490

Odd eMail

Plain text is the best way. I have outlook set up not to load HTML, unless I allow it to.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:48 AM   #13

Odd eMail

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchild View Post
Not quite the same, but I have clicked on a webite (from Google) and when the page opens a box pops up saying it's Windows and checking my computer for viruses, and starts to scan. Since I don't have anything like that and didn't start it, I know (and know now) it's a virus from the webpage. I didn't click anything on it, just openned the webpage. Which seemed legit and okay when I clicked it.
Having experienced this, when it occasionally happens, I think clicking the X makes it worse, I hit ctrl-alt-delete and bring up the tast manager, and end that program that way.
Than virus scan.
If you let it scan, it says it finds hundreds of bad viruses and you have to buy it to get them out. Of course, it just wants you credit/debit card info.
My daughter did this (she didn't but it but let it scan, clicked OKAY to, she thought it was for real) and it messed up her computer so bad she has to have Windows reinstalled in it now.
One can only how there is such a thing as KARMA so people who do this stuff will get negative back in some way, time and form.
Best to NOT CLICK ON ANYTHING and shut off the computer immediately.
My mother in law had this and clicked all over the place. I had to take the machine to a guy.
A week later, I had the same thing happen and just turned off the computer. Turned it back on and ran a maleware program and it disappeared.
If you contact the company and pay them with a credit card, they don't fix anything and then they use your credit card number to buy things.
These people need to be fed into a wood chipper, feet first.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote