Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2007, 06:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Odd Cabinet

Hello Folks...I am new to this site and I am sure glad I found it!!

My husband and I bought a beautiful remodled Victorian home on Monday. We are so excited and is has been so well done for a home built in 1904.

However, and you knew there was a "however" coming did'nt you? When they put in the new cabinets in the kitchen, there is a cabinet that we have NO idea what it is for.

It is exposed, as in no doors, on the bottom, with about 4 to 5 slanted shelves at a good angle and deep, all the way back to the wall. At first glance, you would think "wine rack"...but there are no niches for the bottles...so bottles would roll in to one another if you put them in there. There is a sliding cabinet for cookie sheets to stand up in, that is behind a door, so that is not it and you would not want to display your cookie sheets anyway. I have searched the "Kitchen Cabinet" sites and have not seen it in any of the sites I have seen.

Does anyone have a clue? I sure hope so.

Thanks so much, Gweneth

Gweneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:23 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Odd Cabinet

Hello and welcome

My question would be how wide is this cabinet?
And it is a base (floor) cabinet?

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:45 PM   #3

Odd Cabinet

Thanks for the welcome!!

I will have to measure it tomorrow while there working, but it is pretty darn wide and yes, it is a base cabinet.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:30 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Odd Cabinet

I have no idea what those shelves might be intended for, but if that kitchen was done as per the original era of the house, you might want to check out http://www.oldhouseweb.com/newBB/ which is a site with a lot of info on old homes both in forums and various links.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:30 PM   #5

Odd Cabinet

Thanks Dusty...however, they new cabinets and I even looked to see if I could find a brand name on them to check a web site, but no such luck. The dimensions on them are 23" wide x 23" deep. I am at the point of thinking I will have "dream-up" something to slide in there on them!!
Old 07-20-2007, 06:29 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,304

Odd Cabinet

It may be for cookbooks, and magazines. Without a picture, it is only my fair guess.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:48 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Odd Cabinet

Welcome

Can you post a photo?

Did you have the house inspected prior to buying it?

Is this your first home pruchase?
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:57 AM   #8
Old School

Rewards Points: 75

Odd Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gweneth View Post
Hello Folks...I am new to this site and I am sure glad I found it!!

My husband and I bought a beautiful remodled Victorian home on Monday. We are so excited and is has been so well done for a home built in 1904.

However, and you knew there was a "however" coming did'nt you? When they put in the new cabinets in the kitchen, there is a cabinet that we have NO idea what it is for.

It is exposed, as in no doors, on the bottom, with about 4 to 5 slanted shelves at a good angle and deep, all the way back to the wall. At first glance, you would think "wine rack"...but there are no niches for the bottles...so bottles would roll in to one another if you put them in there. There is a sliding cabinet for cookie sheets to stand up in, that is behind a door, so that is not it and you would not want to display your cookie sheets anyway. I have searched the "Kitchen Cabinet" sites and have not seen it in any of the sites I have seen.

Does anyone have a clue? I sure hope so.

Thanks so much, Gweneth

A picture would definitely help. So, it sounds like there is a door on the front, and it may cover half the opening. If there is a slide out with what looks like for "cookie sheets", it could be for pot lids and covers, or serving trays. As for the slanted shelves, they could be for wine, spices, or cans. There may be dividers missing, and there may be a door missing. Just a guess. This is a great game to play. What do we win?
cabinetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 11:33 PM   #9

Odd Cabinet

Thanks for all the input folks and I will post a picture as soon as I can take one and get it on here.