Nuts, Bolts And Screw Stock? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2009, 11:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Nuts, bolts and screw stock?

I need to seriously improve my nut, bolt, screw and other hardware selection at home (washers, lock washers, lock nuts...). Basically I want to make a mini-hardware asile, but I don't want to hand pick from every bin on the Lowes asile.

I also don't want cheap sub-grade chinese hardware, I bought a crappy screw nut and bolt organizer with hardware once and I only use them in desperation because they are so cheap.

So... what is a good source to buy bulk in various hardware sizes, shapes and types and get a decent selection without resorting to hand picking at the hardware store?

Advertisement

jage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

There are many hardware stores that specialize in these items. Also you can order what you want from online suppliers like McFeeley's. But you should determine what hardware you are likely to use and only order this. This online resource will also carry packages that may interest you.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:08 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

I keep 3" and 1-5/8" decking screws, and nails for my nail gun, some #4 nails and so forth. I use a fish-tackle box insert to keep leftover screws in and organized.

I have some quarter inch and 3/8" bolts.

A few years back my father-in-law gave me buckets of nuts and bolts (actually old 3 lb. coffee cans) in various lengths, all sorted by size. Pretty much never use them -- too much stock to remember what's there.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
the Musigician

i collect tin cans and boxes of these items from yard sales all the time for dirt cheap.
i NEVER know what type of fastener i need until i need one, so it helps to have TONS of this stuff stored for me.

DM
Old 12-19-2009, 10:33 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Yeah, I'm with danger mouse. When I need an oversized round head 1/8" long screw, I want to be able to have one, not stop and go to the HW store only to come back and find I also need a washer, nor to slap a deck screw into every hole and be satisfied with that (the previous owner of my house used deck screws for everything. )

I currently have 72 organizer drawers of different hardware and a separate organizer with various size grade 8 bolts. In additon I have several boxes of various unsorted nuts and bolts salvaged from the years (I have 16 wall bins where they used to be sorted into relative sizes but I've moved alot and they've gotten mixed). Still I'll wind up with " bolts and 1" bolts in the same size and need 1" bolts.

Anyway, the point is that twice recently I've needed somthing I don't have- long round head screws ~1 long and more recently driver screws- large with oversized threads and bolt heads. I guess that makes me a hardware snob, but I absolutely loathe having to stop a project and go to the hardware store.

I should probably buy an Ace franchise and put it around the corner from my house. Keep the ideas coming.
jage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #6

I just over-buy what I need when I need it
Most nails I buy the larger 50 lb boxes
Same with screws & other items, I buy the larger pak
I've built up a pretty good collection of nails & screws
Washers I buy the 25 paks
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I just over-buy what I need when I need it.
yup, me too.... especially when i go to town to get carriage bolts and hinges, etc. for my magic tricks.... i always tend to make more than one of that design, so it's nice to have lots of extra hardware.

DM
Old 12-19-2009, 11:25 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I tend to buy things I know I need in bulk like nails and drywall screws. There are other things I know I need too. I never seem to have the right size at times and still really on the bins at my local hardware store and not the bags of cheap stuff at the box stores. I also have a couple of great fastener stores I patronize a lot. As far as I know they sell retail.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:55 PM   #9
Advice worth 2 cents!

Rewards Points: 150

Hold on here...

you need to go to a "nuts and bolts" supply house. Everything you need is available. Also, most wholesale suppliers in various trades.

____pete
Old 12-21-2009, 09:00 PM   #10
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

Wow! What a coincidental posting. Now, being as I operate a "Household HandyMan" business, I never know what nail, screw, bolt, or gizmo I may need on the next job and certainly don't won't to run back to a store to buy one. I'm also a pack-rat by nature and I need lots of storage space for my stuff. I just spent four (4) hours yesterday re-organizing the buckets I keep in my work trailer for my nails, screw, etc. As posted before, when I go to buy fasteners, I usually over-buy so I will have those on another job, hopefully. I now have four (4) of the five (5) gallon buckets with those storage containers that fit into them, all full. When will I use any of the nails, screws, etc., that are in these containers next? Who knows, maybe the next job, maybe another month or so. But one thing I am sure of--not until next year! The next couple of weeks are for my two little grandson's, ages 3 and 4 1/2, quality time for the old man and those "BOYZ" as I call them. Life doesn't get any better than time with them. Merry Christmas to All, David

Advertisement

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote