Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

not sure what to do about moisture buildup in bathroom?

Hi, before i remodeled my bathroom i was getting mold or mildew on the ceiling because of all the moisture. I do have a 70 cfm exhaust and the room is about 65 sq. ft. with 8 ft. ceiling. However i did use very cheap paint in the bathroom 10 yrs. ago.
Just finished completely remodeling the bathroom with new bath and surround, Behr bath paint.
There are 4 of us taking showers in there and when we're done the ceiling is soaking wet, along with the upper part of the walls. Is this normal? I checked the exhaust fan by putting a piece of paper up to it and it does suck it in. I am attaching a picture, check it out and tell me what you guys recommend. My mom did buy those 2 x 2 plastic squares from Lowes for $20/pc. and glued them to her ceiling. I just don't know if i'm freaking out for nothing, but i know i don't want the mold on the ceiling again. But now i do have bath paint on the ceiling and walls. Any suggestions please! pic attached
Attached Thumbnails
not sure what to do about moisture buildup in bathroom?-p1260335.jpg   not sure what to do about moisture buildup in bathroom?-p1260336.jpg  

mayhem69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

lets understand the princible of the exhaust fan. when the fan is in the on position it is going to pull the air from the room to the exterior of the house. where is the replenishing air going to come from? that 1/4" space under the door? That's not enough! try opening the bottom sash of that window about 3" when your in the shower and when the fan is on. you will see a big difference. the room needs to have replenishing air, which in turn, will help pull out all the steam being generated from the hot showers.
another solution would be to install the fan on a turn dial timer. this way the fan continues to run when you leave the room and the door being left open.
or you could install an AC grill in the low part of the wall on both sides to get the air circulating.
also make sure the exhaust piping is installed pitching out word so any water from the condensation will drain outside through the exhaust vent.
Hope this was of some help to you. BOB

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:52 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply Bob. When we shower the door is usually left wide open. Tomorrow night i will try closing the door and opening the window 3" like you said and see what happens.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:01 PM   #4

Is there an attic above this bathroom? Sounds like the ceiling isn't insulated too well.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #5

Nice clean looking bath - it would be a shame to see it mold on you again.

I've seen fans that will pass the paper test but still are not effective due to blow by in the housing. Pull the cover and make sure the exhaust line is properly sealed - if exhaust air is leaking there it will just blow back out around the cover.

Make sure your exterior vent is not clogged - or - if it vents to a side wall like ours - that the vent door is opening properly when it's in use.

You may just need a larger fan - there are models where the motor is installed in the attic in the middle of the line. They move tons of air and are quiet because the fan motor is away from the ceiling.

An article that may help you;

http://inspectapedia.com/interiors/B...entilation.htm

Last edited by Rivethead; 01-28-2009 at 04:53 AM.
Rivethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem69 View Post
Thanks for your reply Bob. When we shower the door is usually left wide open. Tomorrow night i will try closing the door and opening the window 3" like you said and see what happens.
This one is beyond me then! if your saying the door is left open.
Like mentioned above check the piping and make sure it has a clear exist, all whats mentioned above are points worth looking into.
Do you leave the shower door open when you leave the room to help get the air circulating around the shower stall?.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:11 AM   #7

You know Mayhem i was just looking at your pictures and a thought came to mind. that paint! is it semi gloss? I'm wondering, and like others to chime in on this thought! if it is , I thinking its acting as a vapor barrier and there for the shower area would have to be wiped down after each shower. if the steam was to remain there then the mold will show up after time.
Just a thought. BOB.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:36 AM   #8
Contractor

Any decent paint would act as a vapor barrier. IMO you don't have sufficient airflow. With the room door closed but not latched.. it should pull the door open if the room is not getting enough intake air. This is not a big deal as most will shower and exit, leaving the fan on and the bathroom door open. Plenty of intake air there. Check your vent pipe as suggested above, cracking a window during the shower always helps if weather permits. Limit those long hot showers! lol. Install a humidistat rather then running the fan just off a switch... most people do not leave the fan on long enough.
Cheers
cobracdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:47 AM   #9

Here is what I did to mine and it helped a ton. Take a roll of foil tape and seal up all of the gaps in the inner housing - the most critical part is to run a seam of tape where the housing meets the ceiling. Do this in addition to making sure the exaust pipe is sealed to the housing. This way the housing is air tight and the actual blade can pull the air through without letting it escape or having to pull extra air from the ceiling cavity.
vetting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:31 AM   #10

Yes, it is normal for water to condense on the walls and ceilings when a hot shower is run. The question is , "Does the moisture disappear after the fan is run?" If the answer is yes, we're done. If not, what's wrong? Is the fan on long enough? It should run at least 10 minutes. As said before, "Is there enough make up air?" How far is the duct run? Did you use the plastic venting product or the smooth sided metal? Is the exterior vent buried under snow?
I always recommend a simple timer as it turns the fan off automatically.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #11

With the above recommendations, also check specifications of your existing fan to those recommended at this url.
http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_el.../howtosize.asp

1. check the blower wheel for buildup of residue; this cuts back on air removal and the flapper valve for free play.
2. you should have a four inch duct tied into the exhaust. The cfm rating of the fan is for free air. The length of this duct to the outside also determines the resistance to air flow and lowers the actual air/moisture removal. So its possible that you may be undersize.
3. If the ceiling is cold, you have insufficient insulation.
4. seal up the housing as vetting suggests.
5. Install a timer to the fan to run about 10 minutes after showering.
6. Check the sq. ft. area under the door; it should match the area of a 4 inch duct. Trim the door or add a intake in the wall if you have to.
Your post suggests to me that family members are almost waiting in line to take a shower. This is another indication that your fan is undersized or is not getting a chance to run longer between uses of the shower.

Your first order of business is to check the minor things first, then check out that "How To Article" as suggested above.
rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:57 PM   #12

Some nice info. there from all of you. The vent is installed on the roof and the duct is 4". It is only about a 2 ft. run with regular flexible duct from HD. The paint is Behr bath paint, it's call Sateen Lustre, looks like semi-gloss to me. It does seem insulated above the ceiling, i noticed all of it when i installed the exhaust. We don't turn the heat on upstairs till around 7 or 8 pm, then all 4 of us take showers right after another. I did go up just now to feel the ceiling, it is just a little colder then the walls upstairs (t-stat is set to 60). So i guess that's normal being the roof is there.

I am going to pull down the unit like suggested and make sure the flexible duct is secure and no holes in it. I am also kicking myself for buying that Nutone 70 cfm from HD. The housing measures 14 1/2" x 8". Do you guys know how hard it is to find a good unit with at least those dimensions? I wanted to buy a Panasonic exhaust 100 cfm or more, but can't find one to fit. Really didn't want to get into patching up 5 inches of the hole being i am terrible at spackling. Anyway thanks for all the suggestions and i will keep you posted with some results.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:29 PM   #13

Couple of thoughts:

The fan is likely too new to be clogged yet but check the damper on the fan body exhasut where it meets the pipe. If it is hanging open with fan off it is installed backward,... mine was.
All the steam was backing up. These often get knocked off in handling it's only 50/50 that they go back on the right way.........

Ditch the corrugated vent pipe and go smooth for less air drag. Corrugation causes air to bounce.

Check the damper on the roof to see that it is opening smoothly

Worst case, buy the Panasonic and cover it with the Nutone grill.

Get a low flow shower head and reduce your water output. Less water should produce less steam

Finally, even after an energy audit it was suggested by the auditor I run my fans 20 minutes after showering.
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #14

<We don't turn the heat on upstairs till around 7 or 8 pm, then all 4 of us take showers right after another. I did go up just now to feel the ceiling, it is just a little colder then the walls upstairs (t-stat is set to 60). So i guess that's normal being the roof is there.>

Then this appears to be the main cause. The upstairs walls and ceiling are much cooler and when they are exposed to a lot of sudden warm vapor, then the vapor will condense much faster on them and your exhaust fan is no match under these conditions. If you turn the heat on upstairs much sooner, the temperature of the walls and ceiling will also rise and you will have little or no condensation.
rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjordan392 View Post
<We don't turn the heat on upstairs till around 7 or 8 pm, then all 4 of us take showers right after another. I did go up just now to feel the ceiling, it is just a little colder then the walls upstairs (t-stat is set to 60). So i guess that's normal being the roof is there.>

Then this appears to be the main cause. The upstairs walls and ceiling are much cooler and when they are exposed to a lot of sudden warm vapor, then the vapor will condense much faster on them and your exhaust fan is no match under these conditions. If you turn the heat on upstairs much sooner, the temperature of the walls and ceiling will also rise and you will have little or no condensation.
Excelant point I was thinking the same thing as I was reading that sentence. Just like a glass of cold water in the summer. Good point RJORDAN BOB