DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   General DIY Discussions (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/)
-   -   Non-combustible lid... (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/non-combustible-lid-130325/)

Cerberus 01-17-2012 07:25 AM

Non-combustible lid...
 
Our basement remodel includes an existing storage box that the previous owner made of brick, presumably at the same time they installed the wood stove and face the corner of the basement walls with brick...

The box is made of brick, is 51" x 18" x about 24" deep (makes a halfway decent bench, actually), and has a wooden lid that hinges up. The problem is that it's only about 12" away from the corner of the wood stove. It can't be moved.

The wooden lid concerns me. If I were to fabricate a new non-combustible lid for it... any ideas on what I could use for a material?

I assume the previous owner intended it to be used as wood storage for the stove.

Thanks

oh'mike 01-17-2012 07:32 AM

If you could post a picture I believe you will get a lot of ideas---

DrHicks 01-17-2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerberus (Post 825456)
Our basement remodel includes an existing storage box that the previous owner made of brick, presumably at the same time they installed the wood stove and face the corner of the basement walls with brick...

The box is made of brick, is 51" x 18" x about 24" deep (makes a halfway decent bench, actually), and has a wooden lid that hinges up. The problem is that it's only about 12" away from the corner of the wood stove. It can't be moved.

The wooden lid concerns me. If I were to fabricate a new non-combustible lid for it... any ideas on what I could use for a material?

I assume the previous owner intended it to be used as wood storage for the stove.

Thanks

Look closely at the lid. On the end near the stove, is there evidence of overheating? Bubbled paint? 12" away from the wood stove seems awfully close, but maybe there is no problem.

oh'mike 01-17-2012 08:12 AM

That is to close for me---12" from a wood burning stove---someone here will know the set back for combustibles---but I know it's more than 12"

DrHicks 01-17-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 825491)
That is to close for me---12" from a wood burning stove---someone here will know the set back for combustibles---but I know it's more than 12"

Right. I can't imagine why they built it that close. They must have never built much of a fire in that stove.

oh'mike 01-17-2012 08:26 AM

That's what I thought----Mine glows red every now and then---

DrHicks 01-17-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 825512)
That's what I thought----Mine glows red every now and then---

Only red? :)

Back to the OP... I think he could put up some sort of heat shield, but I cannot see it being anything short of redneck. And I can think of several non-combustible materials he could use to build the lid, but none of them seem very feasible or attractive.

12penny 01-17-2012 08:53 AM

Make the lid with Ipe. Class A fire rating, I think. Meaning it doesnt burn.

oh'mike 01-17-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12penny (Post 825539)
Make the lid with Ipe. Class A fire rating, I think. Meaning it doesnt burn.

That's an interesting thought!!!

Cerberus 01-17-2012 09:41 AM

OK, what's that stuff...?

Checking my google-fu...

oh'mike 01-17-2012 09:43 AM

IPE is a hard wood used for deck building----Nice looking---hard and heavy---water tolerant--easily found at local suppliers,

Cerberus 01-17-2012 09:49 AM

Wow, good idea! Never heard of that stuff before now... Class A fire rating, I like it!

I'm going to look into that for sure.

Oh, my mistake, the distance is actually about 19" to the closest part, not 12" Sorry. I have a feeling it's still too close, though.

oh'mike 01-17-2012 10:07 AM

Better safe---Do check on the fire rating---

danpik 01-17-2012 10:31 AM

Not sure is Durock tile backer is fire proof or not.

If it is you could Laminate 3 or 4 layers to make a sort of "plywood" from it. Rout the corners with a carbide router. Seal it or paint it. Another option I thought of would be to have a metal lid formed but, I would imagine at 12" it would get real hot.

Bondo 01-17-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Oh, my mistake, the distance is actually about 19" to the closest part,
Ayuh,... Havin' lived around wood heat, most All my life,...

I think yer goin' Waayyy overboard, 'bout Nothin'.....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved