Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
transmitterrecieverpntgun

Share |

Noisy cieling fan

I have a cieling fan that hums and rattles loudly. I dont have the papers that came with it and it is quite old. Can it be oiled? It doesnt seem to be loose, just hums and sometimes has a rattle sound.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
Household Handyman

Noisy cieling fan

Sorry---I've taken apart ceiling fans that cost from say--$50 all the way up to a $650 unit. Why? That's how I learn how things that don't work are made, and how to repair them. I've never seen a bearing within a ceiling fan that can be oiled or lubed in any manner. All of the bearings I have seen in all units are sealed bearings. IMO--once a ceiling fan starts to have "that" little rattling sound within the motor unit, one or both bearings are failing. One trick that might give you a little more life--run the fan opposite of the way it has normally been running, in high speed for a few hours. . There's an opinion, mine, that this may cause any lubricant left within the bearing to get warm and re-coat the balls within the bearing. After trying this IF the fan runs better--you have some more time to look for a replacement, which is inevitable. David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:42 AM   #3

Noisy cieling fan

I had a high-end Hunter ceiling fan that you could oil. It actually came with a small plastic oil bottle to use for initial installation, and for required maintenance oiling (every two years or so, I think). Great fan, but it's in a formerly-owned house from a few years back, alas.

But fans you can oil are rare. Like David said, plan on replacing...
Itsdanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:03 PM   #4

Noisy cieling fan

If it has a light on it, it's probably the globe(s) that's rattling. Turn on the fan and just press your finger against the glass to see if it stops.
Do you have this fan on a dimmer or separate speed related switch? If a separate switch, make sure the speed on the fan itself is set to ,"high"
If the cowling next to the ceiling is loose, it could hum. Make sure the screws are tight. Press the whole fan up from the bottom to see if the hum stops. If it does, somethings loose.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote