Noise, Hollow, Movement On Cultured Marble Floor...need Help? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
handyfix2008

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Noise, hollow, movement on cultured marble floor...need help?

New cultured marble floor in shower makes noise, what is a correct adequate way to fix this?

What are the pros and cons of drilling a hole and injecting foam underneath to keep from making noise and prevent movement? or Is the best way to have no long term problems to remove the floor and redo the surface underneath the right way? The noise sounds like standing on a wooden floor, it sounds hollow, and you hear it when you are standing or walking from one side of the shower to the next.

Advertisement

handfix2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
Not-So-Newbie

Rewards Points: 75

From the sound of it, it seems like you lost the bond of the tile. Did this installation use thinset, or mastic? What type?

If it is what I think it is, the only way to fix it will be to tear out and start over.

Advertisement

Steven62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

It would help if you were more specific as to who contracted the job and what was done. If you had it done, what are the details of the job?
There is no retrofit correction to be made. As stated before, it sounds like someone did the wrong job and it will need to be removed and done again.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:13 PM   #4
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven62 View Post
From the sound of it, it seems like you lost the bond of the tile.
I'm confused on both the exact type of floor he has, and why you interpret this to be a loose tile problem. Although I have seen tile set over cultured marble pans, they are most commonly used in my area as the finished shower floor, and coupled either with cultured marble sheet goods for the walls, or tile walls. Either way, I don't know why he has noise and/or movement , as they are usually cast so that they are still about 2" thick at the drain hole.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:32 PM   #5
Not-So-Newbie

Rewards Points: 75

Well, the "Hollow" sound and "Loose" would be my first clue...
Steven62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:06 AM   #6
handyfix2008

Rewards Points: 10

Additional info re. cultured marble flooring to shower.....I appreciate the response. I would like to add additional information based on the responses. The shower floor is raised. A professional contractor was hired to remodel the masterbath, the contractor mentioned the floor needed to be raised a few inches from the original platform/step, due to the drain/or type of drain the cultured marble floor would have in order for it to drain properly. (The contractor said this style is now customary to almost all new walkin cultured marble showers).Cement/Morter was used and mixed in the masterbath. Then a fiberglass shower pan was installed on top of this. Then the cultured marble flooring. Shortly after the work was done. From one week to the next, started using the new shower and noticed the sound, and movement when stepping on two different corners diagonally apart. The noise sounds like a hollow noise, especially when the shower is turned on and the water is spraying/it echoes. The cultured marble is a custom made piece that was fabricated by a local cultured marble company. The contractors that laid the cement/morter are not employed by the cultured marble company. These are all subcontractors working together. So directly underneath the cultured marble flooring is shower pan, then a morter/cement platform/step. There are no ceramic tiles or porcelain tiles involves. This is replacing a previous cultured marble shower that we had for years, originally built with brand new home. Never have had this problem before, or heard of this happening. If this needs to be totally redone, can the contractors use the same pieces? How can the glue, silicone, etc., be safely removed? One more question again---Is an adequate fix to the situation to still drill holes into the cultured marble floor and inject foam as a filler? Please give suggestions. Thank You!

Last edited by handfix2008; 11-04-2008 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Additonal Information.
handfix2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:09 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

"Is an adequate fix to the situation to still drill holes into the cultured marble floor and inject foam as a filler?"

No, this is not a solution for your problem.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:15 PM   #8
remodeling pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by handfix2008 View Post
Then a fiberglass shower pan was installed on top of this. Then the cultured marble flooring. One more question again---Is an adequate fix to the situation to still drill holes into the cultured marble floor and inject foam as a filler? Please give suggestions. Thank You!
Again, the only shower pans I am familiar with that are manufactured by the cultured marble companies are a shop cast , poured unit of resin. Never seen a cultured marble product bonded to a fiberglass pan at the job for a shower floor.

All that being said, unfortunately, drilling holes in the floor and injecting foam is not going to yield a long term satisfactory fix. Sounds like it needs to come up.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:25 PM   #9
remodeling pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven62 View Post
Well, the "Hollow" sound and "Loose" would be my first clue...
I understand that; it's just that in my area, tile is very seldom laid over a cultured marble (poured resin) pan; it is usually the finish shower floor in itself, and is a shop cast unit.

Advertisement