Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2005, 09:05 PM   #1

Share |

no permit

hey guys ,Im new to the forum and glad i found it .I have a question ?, I live in vancouver B.C..My brother just filled in his garage and didn"t get a permit .I'm wondering what kind of trouble he can get in if he is reported . thanx in advance :confused:
murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 11:06 PM   #2

no permit

Filled in his garage? OK, what's that mean? As far as trouble, your local building dept would be the only ones that know for sure, but a call to ask might be asking for trouble too. Explain "filled in his basement" a little more and we'll try to help a little more.
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:03 AM   #3

no permit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproffer
Filled in his garage? OK, what's that mean? As far as trouble, your local building dept would be the only ones that know for sure, but a call to ask might be asking for trouble too. Explain "filled in his basement" a little more and we'll try to help a little more.
it used to be a carport ,now its part of the living space
murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:14 AM   #4

no permit

OK, so he closed in a carport to part of the house, gotcha . I would think the building dept. would frown on doing this without a permit. What would happen if he was reported depends on the mood of the inspector at the time he checks it out. I've heard anything from: "Just pay for the permit, plus a small fine for not gettting it before you did this." ....to...."Tear it down to the first inspection point, get the permits you should have gotten before, pay a fine, and I'm being nice, I could make you tear it all the way down"
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 09:35 PM   #5
Contractor

no permit

Down south, in the States, this would eventually catch up with you when the home was sold.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote