No Flood Drain In My Basement - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2014, 05:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

No flood drain in my basement

Hello I just purchased my first house in September and I noticed that my basement does not have any sort of flood drain near the water tank or anywhere for that matter. I also looked over the house inspection forms too confirm that there isn't one. I'm looking to finish up the basement this summer with new flooring, drywall ext, but I'm not sure what I should do without having a drain in the basement. My main concern is that after I do finish the basement what if I have a flood, ill be hooped!. Is there anyone with the same issue or perhaps know of anything that I can do? P.s The boiler and furnace are both in a separate room in the corner of the basement. Thanks

Advertisement

Lysterfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

If you do not want to install a floor drain, you could always install a sump-pump.

Advertisement

JonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Really need to take into account some details to decide what to do. A drain system would be nice but very expensive to install. A sump well and pump is relatively cheap and provides some protection from appliance and plumbing leaks. I am assuming the water table is far below the basement floor? Any evidence of water penetration in the past? Cracks in the floor or walls?
Your bigger decision is about how to finish the surfaces. You need to determine the amount of moisture in the walls and floor before you just put something over them. A cement floor that seems dry can become saturated with water if you seal it up.
chiraldude is offline   Reply With Quote