Newer Bath Caulk Is Now Falling Out - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2014, 01:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 192

Newer bath caulk is now falling out

I re-caulked our bathtub about 1 month ago, and now part of it is falling out of the joint. I removed all the old caulk, cleaned it good, then wiped it with rubbing alcohol. After caulking with Polyseamseal latex Tub and Tile caulk, it cured 36 hours before we showered. What do you guys think the problem is? Do I have to re-caulk the whole thing, or just where it's coming out. Thanks.

Advertisement

Jim McC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
I re-caulked our bathtub about 1 month ago, and now part of it is falling out of the joint. I removed all the old caulk, cleaned it good, then wiped it with rubbing alcohol. After caulking with Polyseamseal latex Tub and Tile caulk, it cured 36 hours before we showered. What do you guys think the problem is? Do I have to re-caulk the whole thing, or just where it's coming out. Thanks.
I would recaulk the whole thing. You probably can't trust that any patches will stick. Use silicone. Fill the tub before you apply it. Should be good to go. Latex is better for paint prep but not really ideal for the bathroom. People hate silicone because it's hard to work with but it's the better stuff to use here.

Advertisement

Last edited by eharri3; 01-22-2014 at 05:09 AM.
eharri3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:08 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 712

Where's it failing?
100 % sure it's not failing grout above it allowing water to getting behind the caulking?
Old 01-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #4

Yes, I'm sure it's not a grout problem. Above the problem area is a 12" X 12" tile, and this is in the center of the tile, so there's no grout above it.

When I did the caulk, I did fill the tub with water, and left it for 36 hours.

Damn, I was hoping I didn't have to caulk the whole thing again.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #5

You don't, you could patch it. But what is causing it to pull away will keep happening in other spots, making it an on going project that will be more drawn out than if you just pull it up, clean it again, and use silicone.
eharri3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:42 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,620

There is moisture in the walls behind the tile...plain and simple. Deny it if you want but that's the problem.

Need to know everything there is to know about the showers construction before a remedy can be suggested.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:41 AM   #7

Maybe I didn't let it dry long enough after I cleaned it, and before I caulked. Because the old caulk never did this. It developed a little mold and became hard and brittle. I guess I will remove it all and use silicone. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:16 AM   #8
Professional

Rewards Points: 75

I would clean it out and let it sit for a bit to dry it out. Silicone is a best and you do not have to wait 36 hours, usually 24 is more than enough. Use some painters tape on both sides of the caulking bead to get a nice clean edge. Try to get it out of the tube as nice as possible instead of trying to just tool it with your finger. Use a wet finger to just touch it up a bit or get a caulking tool.
TotalHomeworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:40 PM   #9

I replace the silicone caulking on my acrylic Jacuzzi tub/acrylic shower tub
enclosure each year. The caulk usually starts separating after a year or so and it starts discoloring also. Over the years I've tried various latex caulks and silicone caulks for this. The one caulk that has worked the best and shows/stays the brightest white is the GE 100% Silicone I. I pull the old silicone off, wipe the area down with Isopropyl alcohol, apply the silicone as light as possible, then smooth it out with a wet finger. When you do this every year you get pretty good at it.
Attached Thumbnails
Newer bath caulk is now falling out-tub-20silicone-20caulk-2011-2028-2013-20003.jpg  
Larryh86GT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #10

Thanks. Every year? Why so often?
Old 01-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #11

For about a year it's fine and then the silicone starts separating from the acrilic surface. (with the separation it peels off pretty easy) I don't mind redoing it all that much because no matter what caulk you use mold or stain will start showing and it looks dingy.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #12

Do you think the silicone doesn't like the acrylic? Because my tub is acrylic also.

Is it a good idea to put a fan in there to speed up the drying, before caulking? I can also put one of those small cube electric heaters in there if it will help?
Old 01-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #13

My Jacuzzi installation instructions say to use silicone as the sealant. But it sure shouldn't start separating that soon after application. Making sure the surfaces are dry is really important. Don't use the shower for 24 hrs at least to let the silicone cure. If you had the surface dry and it separated right away you have something else going on as some have suggested.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:50 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 624

Quote:
Do you think the silicone doesn't like the acrylic?
Silicone does not like silicone. Once it has been siliconed once, its very hard to get all traces off. Other caulks will also have difficulty adhering to previously silicone surfaces.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:12 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Do you think the silicone doesn't like the acrylic? Because my tub is acrylic also.

Is it a good idea to put a fan in there to speed up the drying, before caulking? I can also put one of those small cube electric heaters in there if it will help?
Silicone works great and is recommended on acrylic. A lot of times the acrylic will expand and contract with the temperature changes from the water. That is normally what causes the caulk to lift.

Advertisement

Gene S. is offline   Reply With Quote