Newbie With A Question/Problem With Windows - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2010, 12:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Newbie with a Question/Problem with windows

About 6 years ago, I remodeled my house and used Milgard windows. I am having a weird problem with the bathroom windows, they are blowing out and shooting glass everywhere. The glass does not have a crack in it, the window is exploding and sending glass clear across the room. What make this even more weird, is that it is only happening to a certain size window. At first I thought is was some drunk college students doing this, but it would happen on the upstairs bathrooms windows were they nobody can break them. Just last week another window busted out, but this time is was the inside glass of the dual glass. I was thinking that maybe the weight of the house was compressing the glass, but if that was the case, the slider window would not open. So I did the next thing and called Milgard. After talking with customer service, I found out the warranty does not cover broken glass. Then I went into detail telling them that the glass is not cracking, it is blowing out and shooting glass everywhere, but they stick to there policy and say "we do not cover that type of problem".... Im trying to figure out what might be causing this to happen. Is it the gas that is in between the two pieces of glass causing the window to blow out? This can be a dangerous situation if someone is in there when it happens. It has happened to 3 windows so far that are the same size.........Milgard does not want to help me......has anybody else come across this problem???

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...s/IMG_2285.jpg

Advertisement

Last edited by Tomas von Engel; 03-05-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Tomas von Engel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:00 AM   #2
Always learning...

Rewards Points: 250

Hmm, is this the same bathroom window that has busted out 3 times or was it 3 different windows?

BTW, the link to your image is broken.

Advertisement

fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetzer85 View Post
Hmm, is this the same bathroom window that has busted out 3 times or was it 3 different windows?

BTW, the link to your image is broken.
I have 3 bathrooms and two of them have the same size windows. So 3 different windows have busted out that I have not replaced yet.
I have updated the picture.....you can see two window have busted. An inside and a outside one
Old 03-05-2010, 06:58 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

I have seen seals fail, and I have seen cracked glass, all due to manufacturing defects. I have never seen windows break like that without help from 2 legged interference. Do the sashes operate correctly, not difficult to open/close?? If they are OK, do you see any dead birds around(big birds)?? But that would not explain just the inside glass breaking. That would certainly indicate a manufacturing defect.

I have never used Milgard, but thanks for the heads up, now never will. They go on my "NO" list with Pella. The company I use for vinyl, Viwinco, guarantees glass against any hazard, no questions.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:10 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

where are you located, how soon after install did they break. I know there can be glass problems with windows shipped thru high elevations
Old 03-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 254

Aren't bathroom windows suposted to be tempered? if they measured them they might of given you the wrong windows
plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 590

It would only make sense for the glass to "blow-up" if it IS tempered. Tomas, when these windows broke, did it occur in large chunks or tiny pieces. If it is large chunks than it is plate glass and almost impossible that the window would have blown across the room unless there was an impact. Tempered glass shatters in tiny fragments and can "explode" across the room given the right circumstances, however this is generally deemed to be less dangerous as the pieces are so small.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #8

Given the pic I'd have to say not tempered - glass pieces too big

Requirement for tempered glass depends upon size of the window, how far off the floor & a few other things:

Quote:
The sentence in that rule says it is not considered hazardous requiring safety glass unless all those conditions exist. The code is saying that you could have a window with a sill less than 18" with a size greater than 9 square feet with the top edge greater than 36" and is still not requiring safety glass or considered as a hazardous location unless it also has the last part also being one or more walking surfaces within 36". The code is say safety glass is required only if ALL the following conditions exist around that window. One item in that list missing and it is not considered as hazardous and does not require safety glass.

7.1. Exposed area of an individual pane greater than
9 square feet (0.836 m2).
7.2. Bottom edge less than 18 inches (457 mm)
above the floor.
7.3. Top edge greater than 36 inches (914 mm)
above the floor.
7.4. One or more walking surfaces within 36 inches
(914 mm) horizontally of the glazing

within 24" of an exterior door opening it must be tempered regardless of size or height.

If it is within 60" horizontally of a step or stair, it must be tempered
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #9
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 590

Didnt see pic before.. That is definitely not tempered. I don't know if you are 100% sure that nothing hit the window, but I have my doubts. The manufacturer definitely won't warranty that unless it includes glass breakage (which yours does not)
Old 03-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #10
Learning by Doing

I think OP is seeing zebras. The most logical explanation is that some hard impact is breaking the glass.

I'd look for lacrosse players in the neighborhood. Those balls are HARD and could easily and accurately be chucked at a second story window.

Also - my parent's have a double paned window that my neighbor broke kicking a soccer ball into it. Only the inside piece of glass cracked.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #11

Found this.....true ?
Where are you located ?
But I wouldn't think they would break 6 years later.....

*edit* I see tpolk did mention this already

Quote:
What can anyone tell me about shipping windows over mountain passes. I know a guy who wants to take some windows to another state but has to take them over a 6500 ft. mountain pass. However, he was warned against doing so because the high altitude would damage the windows

Could indeed be a problem. The windows are made at about sea level. There's less pressure at 6500', so the glass will want to expand, breaking the seals of the IG units. Has nothing to do with gas fill.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:26 PM   #12

that could be Dave,most windows shipped from or to those higher elevations should have cappilary tubes installed that are crimped on site

this is another reason to post your LOCATION
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolk View Post
where are you located, how soon after install did they break. I know there can be glass problems with windows shipped thru high elevations
I live in California on the central coast.....so 50ft above sea level. I remodel 6 years ago, and the first one broke about 3 years ago, and the second about 2 years ago, and the last one broke about 1 1/2 weeks ago. The first two broke on the outside, and the last one broke on the inside. I have 3 sets of windows with the same size, so 2 out of the three have broken glass, just waiting for the last one to bust.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:41 PM   #14

Any big storms...low pressure systems that moved thru around that time ?
I know winds can be very strong coming off the ocean

Just weird one busted on the inside (only ?)

Of course pressure could cause that
Old 03-05-2010, 10:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
I think OP is seeing zebras. The most logical explanation is that some hard impact is breaking the glass.

I'd look for lacrosse players in the neighborhood. Those balls are HARD and could easily and accurately be chucked at a second story window.

Also - my parent's have a double paned window that my neighbor broke kicking a soccer ball into it. Only the inside piece of glass cracked.
I live in San Luis Obispo CA, so there are no Lacrosse players near by, we just have surfers and laid back life style people floating around. The funny thing about this window is that it is on the second story, so that would rule out foul play. Also my night light would have turn on if someone was around, when the last glass broke, the first thing I checked was to see if the light turned on.

Advertisement