Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #16
jschaben
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: La Crosse, Kansas
Posts: 588
Rewards Points: 502
Default

newbie with a framing nailer question


Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
your correct, clipped head spikes and nails arent accepted in hurricane and tornado zones, not sure about seismic zones though.

im also in canada, clipped head nails are accepted pending on the inspector. some of the inspectors who have actually worked in the industry understand how things work better dont always accept clipped head as sheet goods can pull off much easier
I'm sure our northern friends in Canada have snow loads to consider so I can believe where an experienced inspector would be a little stricter.
For seismic zones there is a specific nail called "Hurriquake". The heads are especially marked so the inspectors can readily identify their use. I believe Hurriquake is a Bostich trademark but others may have similar. They are basically a .131(?) ring shank except about half inch below the head is twist shank.

__________________
John Schaben

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:42 PM   #17
journeyman carpenter
 
woodworkbykirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: nova scotia canada
Posts: 2,749
Rewards Points: 2,114
Default

newbie with a framing nailer question


ahh yes thats right, i forgot about the bostich nails made specifically for such regions. there was a thing in finehomebuilding about them roughly 7 years ago when they first hit the market. they have a larger head that is also made of heavier gauge metal so the heads dont snap off
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #18
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sherwood, arkansas
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 10
Default

newbie with a framing nailer question


again, thanks for all the help..i took everyones advice,i bought a paslode pf-350s new on e-bay for 220.00 dollars,it will shoot either head nail ,30 degree
jgstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #19
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10
Default

newbie with a framing nailer question


JGSTILL,

Do you still have the 28 degree nails? Would you sell them?
What size are they and are they paper collated?

Thanks
mytime34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #20
journeyman carpenter
 
woodworkbykirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: nova scotia canada
Posts: 2,749
Rewards Points: 2,114
Default

newbie with a framing nailer question


the paslode gun is great. they make some of the best nailers available
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (01-22-2012)
Old 01-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 843
Rewards Points: 500
Default

newbie with a framing nailer question


Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling View Post
up here in Canada clip head nails are OK, although we do not have tornado and seismic codes. I said I would not because I have understood that some have used them with limited 'success' .

What mae-ling said, same here in Michigan!
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 843
Rewards Points: 500
Default

newbie with a framing nailer question


Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
I'm sure our northern friends in Canada have snow loads to consider so I can believe where an experienced inspector would be a little stricter.
For seismic zones there is a specific nail called "Hurriquake". The heads are especially marked so the inspectors can readily identify their use. I believe Hurriquake is a Bostich trademark but others may have similar. They are basically a .131(?) ring shank except about half inch below the head is twist shank.

Even though I don't build for a living and used the nail gun for projects. I did check with several inspectors in northern Michigan, clip head nails are fine.

Writer information is for discussion purpose only and should be confirmed by an independent source.
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #23
jschaben
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: La Crosse, Kansas
Posts: 588
Rewards Points: 502
Default

newbie with a framing nailer question


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardway View Post
Even though I don't build for a living and used the nail gun for projects. I did check with several inspectors in northern Michigan, clip head nails are fine.

Writer information is for discussion purpose only and should be confirmed by an independent source.
That's the way to do it, if you don't know, ask. Especially about things that vary somewhat from one locality to another.
__________________
John Schaben

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 843
Rewards Points: 500
Default

newbie with a framing nailer question


Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
That's the way to do it, if you don't know, ask. Especially about things that vary somewhat from one locality to another.
So far the deer blind/ shooting shack is standing and has not blown over.
My friend is a plumbing inspector and I email him my questions. He will then get an opinion from the other building inspectors.



Writer’s information is for discussion purpose only and should be confirmed by an independent source.
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #25
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sherwood, arkansas
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 10
Default

newbie with a framing nailer question


Quote:
Originally Posted by mytime34 View Post
JGSTILL,

Do you still have the 28 degree nails? Would you sell them?
What size are they and are they paper collated?

Thanks
i finally bought a paslode pf350 and it will shoot my clipped head 28 degree nails as long as i keep the magazine from getting too low on nails.I absolutly love this nailer. it is light and easy to move around with.
jgstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #26
jschaben
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: La Crosse, Kansas
Posts: 588
Rewards Points: 502
Default

newbie with a framing nailer question


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardway View Post
So far the deer blind/ shooting shack is standing and has not blown over.
My friend is a plumbing inspector and I email him my questions. He will then get an opinion from the other building inspectors.



Writer’s information is for discussion purpose only and should be confirmed by an independent source.
First I was aware we were talking about a duck blind
Are they even subject to inspection there??? or anywhere??
__________________
John Schaben

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 843
Rewards Points: 500
Default

newbie with a framing nailer question


IDBBA Master Builder
Oh yes the International Deer Blind Builder Association has very strict codes.

Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First timer framing question??? gabel8 Building & Construction 13 10-28-2010 10:22 AM
Door Framing Question biggidybankston Carpentry 4 12-10-2009 01:26 PM
Simple question on 16" O.C. framing TitaniumVT Building & Construction 10 11-27-2009 07:51 PM
what type compressor for framing nailer drewhart Tools 4 07-27-2008 02:17 PM
Newbie question about crack in PVC joint LinusInPW Plumbing 8 11-17-2007 12:25 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.