Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2009, 02:11 AM   #1

Share |

Newbie - Building a Bathroom

Hello!

Sorry if I made anyones eyes roll when they saw the title of the post. I am a newbie as the title of the post says, and have been googling around for tips on 'building a bathroom'. Unfortunately, the information I get seems to be sometimes a little too broad, or a little specific for what I require... I did see the 'permit' section, and am unsure if in BC, Canada you are required to have one to build a bathroom in your unfinished basement, and the link that was shown on this site for it just brought me to a generic'ish landing page with no information.

Anyway, can anyone point me in the right direction for a step by step guide or general guide in order to start on this? I'm not even sure where to start, currently everything in the basement is unfinished so now is the time I want to get everything sorted.. not sure where to start.. the roof? The electrical? There are things on the floor that are covered, 3 of them, that I imagine mean there is some sort of existing plumbing or drainage or what have you already, but I am very ignorant. Any links or reading anyone can recommend? Sorry for the long post, and please be gentle, I really did give it a go on trying to figure this out a bit myself, thanks in advance.

CluelessDave

CluelessDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:53 AM   #2

Down here, permits are definitly required for plumbing and electrical, not always for walls not affecting structure. Check local rules. If your drains are under the floor, you will need to locate them and break out concrete in the area of the bathroom to gain access. If above the floor, it needs a port for a sewage pump. Water supply is usually the easy part, since pipes are not normally covered up in an unfinished basement. There are usually some pretty good books for DIY at big box stores, look for those on plumbing, electrical, general remodleing, etc.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:14 AM   #3

Yeah, I bought one (a DIY book) from Home Hardware, it's a couple o' hundred pages but doesn't cover a job in it's entirity, I don't know if I should be doing electrical first, or the fan pathway or what. The three drains are visible and capped, but I don't know if that's what you were meaning. I was just hoping for an opinion or some guidance. Do I want to start with the plumbing? If I provided a picture of the area, do you think that'd help people with suggestions? Sorry for the ignorance! Thank-you.
CluelessDave is offline   Reply With Quote