Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2007, 10:01 AM   #1

Share |

New windows/condensation on walls

I had 22 weathered and worn single-pane wood windows replaced in my home this past Tuesday with double-pane insulated Nordex/Reynolds vinyl replacement windows. My home is a two-story brick home built in 1948, hardwoods throughout with plaster walls. There is no attic space, only storage areas between the roof dormer windows (cape cod style house). The home has two gable vents on each end of the roof, mostly covered with plastic by the former owner to keep squirrels out (I'll be removing that soon). A new shingled roof is being installed in two weeks and will include a ridge vent, something the home currently lacks.

Today is only the second day the windows have been in, and in Charleston, SC the high/low temps over the last few days have been 100/90, with the heat index around 115 and high humidity (90%+). This morning I noticed condensation on the walls over the windows, which had never been there before. I'm hoping this is temporary and caused by the windows jams being wide open during installation and excess humidity being built up in the home. But my concern is that the combination of no attic space and new sealed windows has now created a potential problem regarding the house's inability to "breathe" now and now trapping in humidity.

Anyone have experience with this? Is my first hunch likely correct? If the moisture continues, what's the best way to troubleshoot?

Thanks for any help.

pete1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
Agent 000

Did you happen to notice if the window installers insulated all the voids around the window frames?

SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
Did you happen to notice if the window installers insulated all the voids around the window frames?
Hi, thanks for the reply. They did insulate the voids around the windows before installing the aluminum caps. I haven't noticed the problem anymore now that we're a week past the install. I'm hoping it was the high heat and humidity of the 100+ degree days trapped inside the home during the install.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:43 PM   #4

You say it is a cape cod. Got enogh eave vents? I have a house that I call cape cod. The roof is mostly flush with the walls. Yours like that? Oh, I don't see how the house can breathe properly with the gable vents mostly covered. I intend to add some eave vents and maybe ridge vents on mine.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman47k View Post
You say it is a cape cod. Got enogh eave vents? I have a house that I call cape cod. The roof is mostly flush with the walls. Yours like that? Oh, I don't see how the house can breathe properly with the gable vents mostly covered. I intend to add some eave vents and maybe ridge vents on mine.
Enough eave vents? Ha...I have NO eave vents. Yeah, mine is like yours. Once the new roof is installed with the ridge vent I'm going to add some eave vents, although I'm not sure how effective they will be. Here's the beast:

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by pete1972; 08-16-2007 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:44 AM   #6

Know what you mean about no vents. I just can't understand that. No overhang at all on the gables. Very little on the eaves. I have 4 gables and only 2 gable vents. I think that explains the problem I have with the ceiling in one bedroom taking paint.

boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote