New Residential Propane Setup/Delivery - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

New Residential Propane Setup/Delivery

We are interested in propane for our range. Our plan is to run 1/2" FlashShield Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing approximately 40-50' across our basement and up to a valve for the range. We have selected a spot for the tank(s) to sit, which will require us to pass the gas line thru the exterior wall. My original plan was to use black iron to pass thru the wall and connect to the tank(s).

Questions:
1. Is the Flashsheild acceptable for propane?
2. What would you recommend to pass thru the wall to connect the flash shield to the tanks, black iron, flexible copper?
3. We are a family of two, and the propane is only for the range/cooktop. I would prefer to have a single 100lb tank.
a. Will that be sufficient, if not what would recommend?
b. Our lane/driveway is impassible by service trucks during snowfalls

I sent this information to a lcoal supplier, and have not received a responnse.

Advertisement

yogi_bear_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,222

I can't comment on your questions about FlashShield as I've never heard of it. But what I can say, based on personal experience, is that most propane suppliers do not deal in 100 lb tanks. None around here do. It's a Catch-22: they won't come out and refill them because it's not worth their time, and if you buy one, they won't refill it because it's not theirs. I expect you'll need to go to 250 lb or more if you want home delivery.

Advertisement

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 626

It would really help if you put were you are from. The reason is some answers are regional. But to give you generic solid advice to the best I can. buy a 250 gallon tank from what ever company that has the best price. The reason I have suggested a 250 gallon is two fold 1 you will own it and you can do bidding wars between Propane companies. 2. if it is just you and one other person that should last you way over a year and you will not have to worry about winter deliveries. Just make sure you follow all local fire codes.
Also the best time to buy Propane is in the summer time. The reason is Propane is a natural by product from refining Gasoline it cost zero to make. So when oil companies a make Gasoline for the high demand of summer there is a glut of Propane.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 256

Family of two here, 100 lb propane tank. Company comes by and fills it regularly. I don't think we go through 60 gals a year. Just be forewarned, here they price it b how muc you use. So we use very little, so we pay very much, lol!
Old 02-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #5

Thanks for all the repiles. Western PA here. A lot of low income families, so 100LB is probbaly do able, however I like the 250 Idea. Still waiting on one of three companies to get back to me. Probbaly going to have to start calling direct, apparently they don't use their email much.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
It would really help if you put were you are from. The reason is some answers are regional. But to give you generic solid advice to the best I can. buy a 250 gallon tank from what ever company that has the best price. The reason I have suggested a 250 gallon is two fold 1 you will own it and you can do bidding wars between Propane companies. 2. if it is just you and one other person that should last you way over a year and you will not have to worry about winter deliveries. Just make sure you follow all local fire codes.
Also the best time to buy Propane is in the summer time. The reason is Propane is a natural by product from refining Gasoline it cost zero to make. So when oil companies a make Gasoline for the high demand of summer there is a glut of Propane.
Too piggyback on Nailbags advice.

We used to have a rental tank and it was a pain. We did not have it filled often enough. They were constantly hassling us over the tank fee. So in order to get them off our back we purchased a 300gal tank from another dealer. The furnace runs on it, best thing we could have done. We have not had a refill yet, but we will fill it over the summer. We have two 100lb tanks that we use for the cook stove. In the summer months we use the cook stove for a week at a time. They will not fill the 100lb tank when they fill the 300 gallon tank on site here in Michigan either. Here in our area the 100lb tank can be next to the structure and we used soft copper from the tank regulator to the stove. We have a full tank on hand and fill every two years or so on the 100lb tanks. Oh by the way when cooking and a tank changes is necessary it is ALWAYS RAINING!
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #7

I don't mind buying a tank. I really don't want to change a tank, becuase I know it will happen in the middle of cooking a big meal or something. I e-mailed GasTite to double check their product is ok for propane.

Advertisement