Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2011, 01:25 AM   #1
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Share |

New Outlet Above Soap Dish in Bath

I love listening to tunes when taking a bubble bath. I have digital players but they do not dock well with the soap dish in my bathroom. I saw this thing that mounts two speakers behind shaving mirrors that hang over the shower head but that is too high and the sound bounces off before it gets down to me.

And there is nothing yet that can compete with analog, twist the nob, AM sports radio.

Right now I am stretching an old extension cord from the socket over the sink to reach the radio I have velcroed in place over the soap dish. The outlet is GCFI protected so I am not worried about being electrocuted should the radio fall in the tub.

I would like a more elegant solution. How can I remove the tile over the soap dish, install an outlet, and have radio at hand when I reach for soap? I do not want batteries.

Yes people, I was the worst of PR types once. I can tell when being played by same on this site. Most of you can. Some of you fall for it hook line and sinker.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:13 AM   #2

Probably not allowed under most codes, and NOT a good idea, anyhow. An electrical outlet in a shower/tub area, not a good idea!!!!

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:28 AM   #3

No need to remove the tile, just cut through it.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Are you talking about the soap dish by the tub. Hope you have a life insurance policy, and go to church and pray every Sunday. If you want to listen to music, the bath is not the place. Besides, taking baths are just nasty, especially if people do not clean the tub after they are done.

Just go to Bed, Bath, Beyond and look for a bath radio. Otherwise, maybe look at a whole house solution, that you can pipe music into speakers installed in the bath, and you can use a touchpad to change the station, and change the volume if needed.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #5

I'm not sure I understand your last sentence.Are you implying that you are pulling our collective legs? If you are not I think you should give up on the shower outlet idea.Singing in the shower is much safer
pokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I love listening to tunes when taking a bubble bath. I have digital players but they do not dock well with the soap dish in my bathroom. I saw this thing that mounts two speakers behind shaving mirrors that hang over the shower head but that is too high and the sound bounces off before it gets down to me.

And there is nothing yet that can compete with analog, twist the nob, AM sports radio.

Right now I am stretching an old extension cord from the socket over the sink to reach the radio I have velcroed in place over the soap dish. The outlet is GCFI protected so I am not worried about being electrocuted should the radio fall in the tub.

I would like a more elegant solution. How can I remove the tile over the soap dish, install an outlet, and have radio at hand when I reach for soap? I do not want batteries.

Yes people, I was the worst of PR types once. I can tell when being played by same on this site. Most of you can. Some of you fall for it hook line and sinker.
Just crank Vanilla Ice on your Living Room stereo. The neighbors won't mind. In fact, they'll be saying, "There's a classy guy!"

Clean & classy - that's what you want.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post

Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:57 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey View Post
I'm not sure I understand your last sentence.Are you implying that you are pulling our collective legs? If you are not I think you should give up on the shower outlet idea.Singing in the shower is much safer

He is pulling something

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote