New Home Foundation - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2009, 02:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New Home Foundation

My house is located at the bottom of two hills and a sewer in front of my house. So when it rain all the water comes my way. A few months ago we had a bad rain and it all collected by my house and pushed a whole in my foundation, filling up my basement. The whole is about a foot and a half high (at the highest point) and 3 feet wide. I was wondering if anybody would know about how much it would cost the get a complete new foundation or should I just repair the necessary areas? Also since I do have this whole in my foundation and still living in my house, if I have someone come out for an estimate will they have to tell the county inspector and my house get condemmed? Can someone please help me?

Advertisement

melody_smith04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
Dorf dude...

Rewards Points: 1,050

New Home Foundation

Pictures please, Dorf Dude...

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2009, 03:29 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,146

New Home Foundation

melody -

It sounds like the first thing to do is to get the water away from the foundation. If you can do that, the possibility on condemnation is drastically reduced since you have minimized the cause of the problem.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

New Home Foundation

What is the foundation, stone, block, concrete??? Most any mason should be able to repair it, but I would be concerned about what caused it. Anything with that much force needs to be dealt with. Or you have a poorly done foundation.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Rewards Points: 500

New Home Foundation

I don't mean to frighten anyone, but I lived a few doors away from a house whose back foundation caved during Floyd. Owner was not able to live in it until repair was made. Insurance took a while. Mold sprouted. Ultimately the cost of remediation was too much for the owners and they bailed.

Don't let this get too far down the road. Start calling. The contractor will have to pull a permit. But a hole that size shouldn't take more than a few days to fix. And I know towns will do the right thing and jump on repair-type permits that put people out of their houses. At least around here they do.

I also encourage you to share your experience here. Let us know how it goes.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote