Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2013, 12:09 AM   #1

Share |

New here.....

Hi, I have a feeling this will be my new default page. My husband and I just bought out "fixer upper" and will be starting our project in June. We know this is a long term (and expensive) project, and we're excited AND apprehensive about it, lol.

Our first project will be re-insulating. We're going one room at a time, pulling down the existing Sheetrock/drywall, replacing the insulation then putting up new drywall (or something). I say that because my husband just told me he's "not good" with drywall. In fact in his "man cave" (aka the garage we'll be redoing) he wants to put up particle board over the insulation. I'm not 100% set on drywall, but I want something we can do that will be paintable and look good. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
New here.....-image.jpg  

MamawolfMyshado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:36 AM   #2
DIY staff

New here.....

Welcome to the site!!

I moved this to 'General Discussion"

Good start---plan on rewiring as you work.

Stick with drywall----for several reasons----it is fire resistant---air tight when taped and cheap---

Particle board smells from the glue---puffy up at the seams with time---Just my suggestion---

Old 05-10-2013, 03:27 AM   #3

New here.....

Thanks...I wasn't sure about that. Yea, we are going to replace the main electrical box immediately so we can run a 220 line for my stove. We also want to update the electrical, plumbing etc and add Ethernet as we go. What does everyone think about using conduit in the walls to protect the wires? This house is in the country, so mice are a concern...
Old 05-10-2013, 03:40 AM   #4
DIY staff

New here.....

I must use conduit here due to code---that adds a lot of time to a job and is not really needed in my opinion.

If you are concerned about mice chewing through Romex---consider using Greenfield (empty flexible conduit) or BX--(the same thing but already stuffed with wire)
Old 05-10-2013, 03:49 AM   #5

New here.....

One of the wonderful things about living in rural Arkansas is no permits or code inspections, lol. This house is tiny, only about 740 sq ft...it's on 1.5 acres with a detached garage, huge shop, and well house. It has rural water, so the well is going to be dedicated for garden and critters.

Time is really not an issue as we're doing all the work ourselves, and thanks for the wire names...I've noted them in my file to look at.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:54 AM   #6

New here.....

By the way, we are updating the main electrical box to have a 220 line, so does that make a difference on the brand/type of wire? Obviously I know the gauges are different, but since this house was built before the 1930s and had electrical added probably in the 70s, the insulation only goes half way up the wall, just to the wires....
Attached Thumbnails
New here.....-image-3193541307.jpg  
Old 05-10-2013, 03:55 AM   #7
DIY staff

New here.....

Next time you are in a store look into the electrical section---look around and get familiar with the products.

One tip on household wiring---use good sized boxes---it is frustrating trying to pack a lot of wires and switches into a small box----the cost difference between the sizes is just pennies---money you will wish you spent if you have to rip out your finished walls to add a bigger one when you are adding switches.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:57 AM   #8
DIY staff

New here.....

Your 220 line----when it comes time to run that--start a seperate thread in the electrical section---we have a lot of members that are better at wiring than me----there you will find the best answers.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:08 AM   #9

New here.....

My husband is good with wiring (though he says he's not with drywall, lol). But I'll definitely post there when we get to that point. All help is good... The box we're putting in is a good size box. We're reusing one we had in a home that's not livable anymore. We may have to replace a few breakers, but the box is in great shape. Thank you for replying, I was nervous no one would...

This is a picture of the kitchen....the bathroom is attached to that and the back door is off the bathroom....a little odd, but we make due.
Attached Thumbnails
New here.....-image-2811320325.jpg  
Old 05-10-2013, 05:26 AM   #10
DIY staff

New here.....

You are going to have a nice place when you get done----country living is nice.

You will find plenty of help here---people like pictures so you will fit right in---Mike---
Old 05-10-2013, 05:55 AM   #11

New here.....

Thanks...I know it doesn't look like much now, but I see the potential. I've lived in the country before, I only moved to town about four years ago. Here in Arkansas we do lots of things ourselves. My dad is building his and moms house with his own hands. He is about 3/4of the way done. I'm hoping with this forum, my husbands knowledge, my dads supervision and my friends and families help, we'll have a nice place eventually
Attached Thumbnails
New here.....-image-2054297431.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to MamawolfMyshado For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-10-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 06:30 AM   #12

New here.....

That little porch you have there is not doing you any favors.
It was build to high.
It should have been at least 6" below the siding and doors threshold.
Right now it's causing splash back on the siding causing rot and directing water under that threshold.
I'd bet if you pulled that door out you would find the subflooring is rotted out under it.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #13

New here.....

Actually, that porch was partially enclosed at some point. That first part of the house is just enclosed and the concrete goes back about 7 feet to the front door. Maybe that is why they enclosed it? From what I can see, that is really the remains of a previous foundation that this house was built on in the early 1900s.

But, if its a problem, how would we go about fixing it? It's concrete on top of field stone.....
Attached Thumbnails
New here.....-image-1076200635.jpg  
Old 05-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #14

New here.....

One other thing regarding the porch...I have a powerchair and we will be putting a ramp on there...if the lip to the door was 6 inches, I wouldn't be ale to get my chair in there without more work...as it stands now, once we get the ramp done, I will be able to go directly into the house. I know the last owner was an elderly gentleman so perhaps that was a reason?
Old 05-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #15
gravity always wins

New here.....

Just a little encouragement...... everyone on here was terrible at drywall when they started. After a few sheets, your husband will find that it's easier than most of the things he'll encounter during the renovation process. All it takes is a little experience, and experience is what you get when you start doing. People on here will gladly talk you through it. If you can hang particle board, you can hang drywall. Good Luck with your project.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maintenance 6 For This Useful Post:
MamawolfMyshado (05-10-2013), oh'mike (05-10-2013)