Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2009, 04:43 PM   #1

Share |
Question

New Garage Door

My garage door is in dire need of a replacement. As I started to investigate my options I was amazed at what is being offered these days. One feature I found to be quite interesting is the so-called pinch-resistant door. I had never heard of this before.

Do you have any experience with these doors? How do they work exactly?

Do they hold up well? And most importantly, are they worth the extra $100 bucks?

Thanks!

hugapug01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #2

New Garage Door

I assume you are looking at big box doors??? Pinch resistant doors have been around for a long time, nothing new. They do require some special manipulation of the metal, which may add cost, but it is normally standard on better doors. If you want a quality door that will likely be the last you buy, but not much more than big box doors, consider Raynor. NOT sold at big box.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:18 AM   #3

New Garage Door

Thanks, Bill. I'll definitely look into Raynor; I went to their website and there is actually a dealer pretty close to my home. I was looking at the big boxes, but think I may scope out some of the local guys this weekend. Do you have any experience with the big chains like Wayne Dalton or Overhead Door.
hugapug01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:50 AM   #4

New Garage Door

You're almost always better off avoiding the big box stores for things like garage door installations. All you're doing is adding an unnecessary middleman that provides little or no service for what they're charging you. They simply subcontract the work out to install the door.

Go directly to the guys that represent the manufacturers and install their products. No middleman that way. Better warranty service if you ever need it too...Imagine coordinating that at a box store.

My door is a Raynor and has been just fine for 10 years and I was very impressed with their service when I was shopping for it and when they put it in. Overhead door is a very popular company as well, probably for good reason.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Termite For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (03-03-2013)
Old 09-04-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
Household Handyman

New Garage Door

When I built my unattached shop/garage in 1996 I carefully looked at doors as I wanted 12 feet wide by 10 feet tall insulated doors. I drove a 2 x 4 into the ground which stuck up 4 feet approximately where my doors would be to check the late spring afternoon sun. That's when I decided I needed insulated doors as the afternoon sun would be shining directly in the door opening. I priced doors at the big box (Lowe's/Home Depot) stores and then went to Overhead Door locally. Overhead Door was actually cheaper for these insulated doors, cash and carry. I put them in myself with no problems. I happened to find electric door closures on a closeout later and everything is still working fine today with just occasional preventive maintenance. So, Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #6

New Garage Door

How do I fix my uneven floor to mach my door to keep out the cold???

Last edited by logger 69; 02-27-2013 at 10:15 PM. Reason: did not make
logger 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:41 PM   #7
registered

New Garage Door

I don't recommend buying a garage door from a big box store. Best to open yellow pages and call a guy who does nothing but residential and commercial garage doors. Wham Bam your all set.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:49 PM   #8

New Garage Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by logger 69 View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Park-Smart-Gar.../dp/B000FECA9U
Old 02-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #9

New Garage Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by logger 69 View Post
Please start a new post instead of digging up a 4 year old one. Now we have two different sets of answers going for this and it makes it very confusing.

danpik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garage, garage door