New Driveway Advice And Drainage - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New Driveway Advice and drainage

After 3 attempts of having a certain company pave my 28'x30' driveway, I finally got it done on Tuesday morning. I was home while they were doing the job a noticed a lot of things that I didn't understand and certainly didn't agree with. I won't get into all the ugly details quite yet but I do have two questions I want to throw out for advice.

The first question may be simple.
After they laid the pavement with the machine they used a roller to roll it out. When they made the first pass, the roller coated my driveway with rusty water that left a 3 foot wide streak from the road into my driveway. Is this normal and will it go away? It bothers me to all hell and the contractor refuses to fix it. I tried to bush off a small area but it's seems stained.

Second issue is that I had to add a drain in between my house and new detached garage (5 feet between) and have it paved as well. I told the pavers to have that area of the driveway pitched towards the drain (obvious) but they did not. They slapped in down an and raked it so when it was rolled it pitched towards my foundation (see pic). A couple days later I washed my car and the water flowed right towards the house and not the drain.

After the car wash, I brought it to their attention. With a lot of arguments, they have agreed to fix the area by adding more on top to re-level it.
Will this addition work in the long term and will it flow with the existing driveway? I haven't let them back yet but if it's okay to add and look seamless, I might take them up on the offer.

The drain is at the end of this walkway.

As you can tell I'm a little anal about my house, I know it's just a driveway but my wife and I waited a long time to be able to afford the new driveway and I really want it to be the best looking and functional as possible.

Advertisement

overland04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 750

The streak of rust from the 1st pass of the roller is pretty normal and after a short period of time you won't notice it. Obviously the incorrect pitch was a screwup on their part in needs to be corrected. As long as it's done soon after the asphalt was laid adhesion shouldn't be a problem. They should however grind where the edges will meet so that the edge of the raised area will not be too thin where it meets the other asphalt.

A bigger concern for the long-term durability of your driveway should be what they did under the asphalt, what type and how much asphalt they used and how big of a roller they used (how much it was compacted) this will all have a much bigger influence on how well the paving will hold in the long run. What do you know about the items I just mentioned?

Advertisement

Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
The streak of rust from the 1st pass of the roller is pretty normal and after a short period of time you won't notice it. Obviously the incorrect pitch was a screwup on their part in needs to be corrected. As long as it's done soon after the asphalt was laid adhesion shouldn't be a problem. They should however grind where the edges will meet so that the edge of the raised area will not be too thin where it meets the other asphalt.

A bigger concern for the long-term durability of your driveway should be what they did under the asphalt, what type and how much asphalt they used and how big of a roller they used (how much it was compacted) this will all have a much bigger influence on how well the paving will hold in the long run. What do you know about the items I just mentioned?
Thanks for the input and comments. I don't know the exact material that was underneath. It was soft and powdery, almost like dry clay but with very small pieces of stone in it, maybe 1/4 and smaller. It was rolled with a small roller but I'm not sure the model or size. I do know it rusts like crazy.
I paid for a 3" total depth. Some sections look more than three inches and others look smaller.

My only fear with the patch work would be how thin it would have to be when it meets the part that need to be blended in. I didn't know that they can notch or grind down the seam before they lay the new material.

Not sure how much you can tell from the image below, but it shows the thickness, sub-surface and rough layout.

overland04 is offline   Reply With Quote